Advice on a camera for my daughter please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

My daughter like snapping away on my trusty Canon 40D, for which I have a few lenses, as well as a flash, memory cards, batteries for etc.

I was half-thinking about buying her a used DSLR for her birthday present, when she'll turn 10.

Ideally, I'd like a camera for her that can use as many of my accessories as possible (I presume the lenses will fit most Canons).

Does anyone have any suggestions what would be best? A 350/400/450, or maybe a 30D? I suppose something a bit lighter than the 40D might be an idea...

Price-wise, £200-£300 for a body would be ok with the bank manager.

Cheers,

Iain

i started off with a 350d before moving onto the 40d and there was quite a difference in size so i would imagine the smaller model would be better for her.

Picture.jpg

Thanks. I'll check with her on Saturday to see what her thoughts are. Her birthday isn't until December, and she's a fickle wee thing!

Cheers,

Iain

Just bear in mind that the Rebel line changed to SDHC cards at some point if you want those to be compatible as well, the 350D is CF and a cracking little camera, still use mine as well as the 7D

Or you treat yourself to a new camera and pass the 40D onto your daughter :D

My daughter was using my old 300D for a long while and really liked it, I still use it on occasions...

She's now got a 450D and loves it - I think it's also because it's not dads other camera.
As Ken said, the 300 / 350 takes CF cards and is the same battery as your 40D, so reducing costs

My brother in law is looking to sell his 400d which has a kit lens I think!! Can find out if you like! Just let me no!!

Nikon D3100. You should be able to share straps and memory cards.

Same as any other buyer really, she needs to decide what she feels most comfortable with.

Her hands will be holding it not ours.

PsiFox said:
Same as any other buyer really, she needs to decide what she feels most comfortable with.

Her hands will be holding it not ours.

This is true but the cameras that the op is looking to get you can't try out before you buy because there old models!

I will be watching this with interest as I have the 500d and all my kids love using it (10-17yrs) I'm also looking at getting a second camera for them and have looked at the 300/350d but I would really like one that has ad cards as this would be one more thing we could share lol

Rob

personally i use a 500D as well and i think it can produce good enough images for me as i am not a pro. now i am using film camera too. i also want to buy a 2nd one for my 14 years old boy, also consider an older version, like 350/450d, it should be descent enough for him to play around. i saw a thread in the classifield here for a 500D for sell, do you think it is a good buy or should i get the 350/450d? canon prefers which mean we can share the lenses.

I started out with a 350D and its perfectly capable of taking really good photos. You can pick them up for around £100 so they're great value for money, and it would be perfect for my 10yr old niece so I'll be getting another one towards Christmas.
I think that for the cost of them they're worth a buy for the kids as its not too much money to loose if they decide further down the line that they don't want to stick with it, or that they prefer Nikon!

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I've still to broach the subject (been a busy weekend), but will tonight.

I'd thought about the give-her-the-40D option, but I'd have to fork out for a 5D3 then! :LOL:

I would say either a 350D or the 400D, all your lens will fit as will memory cards and other stuff.
I doubt anything else will be smaller in size, they are in your budget, and you may even get another lens to go with them.

spike

The camera idea has gone down pretty well, so I guess I'm in the market for a 350/400 :)

Thanks again,

Iain

Back