Advice on a flash unit please

JPS

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in need of a flash unit for my Sony Alpha. All I've ever had is the on camera pop up flashes in all the cameras I've owned. Now I need a good one for a wedding I have later in the spring and the general people photos I'm starting to take.

I have seen two likely units, one with a guide numer of 36 and the other is 56.

Question - I would guess the 56 is a better unit, but by how much? Is there going to be much difference between the two - brightness wise?

A guide number of 36 means the flash can adequately light a subject a maximum of 36 feet away at iso 100, likewise guide number of 56 means 56 feet at iso 100. The higher guide number also means that closer up the flash uses less power and can recharge more quickly.

If I was you I'd stay away from the Sony models as they don't get very good write ups for their exposure accuracy. Have a look at the flash forum on www.dyxum.com for info. I've got a minolta 5D which uses the same mount and have just bought a Metz 54 MZ4 (54 being the guide No.) and it gets much better reviews than the Minolta/Sony flashes although slightly more than the 56 price wise unless you buy from Kerso like I did. So far I've been very impressed with it.

Not that I know JS about flash but the Sigma EF-500 DG Super Shoe-Mount Flash is compatible with Sony's according to OneStopdigital's site - I know it is highly rated & maybe worth a butchers (?)
Paul ;)

Fits on the Sony/Minolta but doesn't work very well according to a few reviews on Dyxum with regards to exposure. Requires the flash and carmera to be sent away for calibration before it works properly.

Back