Advice on a home family portrait shoot

-Rob-

Say Cheese!...Oh, and call me Susan
Edit My Images
No
I have been asked by a friend if I can shoot some portraits of her children and grandchild. The 2 kids are a girl and boy of 15 and the grandchild has just turned 1.

What they want is some fun and relaxed shots that they can print on a canvas for the wall. I'm fine with the baby shots because even in a cluttered house it's fairly easy to get down low, surround them with some toys, get them smiling and shoot at a wide aperture to blur the background. I reckon the shots of the older kids is going to be harder though as they need a lot more space to move around and have fun.

What I'm after is some inspriation on how to pose them or what to ask them to do so they will look natural and relaxed. I've not been to this friends house before but I know it is a large house with a good sized conservatory on the back. I'm expecting it to be a very nice and tidy house which will help.

I'm hoping for good natural light on the day but I have 3 flashes and 2 studio lights with softboxes so I should be able to cope lighting wise.

Any links to any photographers that shoot this kind of thing well that I can get creative inspiration from?

Rob if you are after some relaxed shots allow for some extra time to build up a little rapport with the kids, then they will be relaxed around you and you will get the best shots. It shouldn't take too long as they will be familiar with the surroundings. If a child gets upset don't be scared to have a little break so they can have a drink, if you can keep the children happy you have won the battle!!!

Natural light would be great done in the conservatory. If you could get your hands on a large bean bag they are great to use as a posing seat. You could have the older kids either side of the toddler laying back, nice and safe and get in close. Also for a fun shot have the older kids cradling the toddler leaning forward in their arms swinging a little towards you, giggles are guaranteed.

Other posing areas to look at are the stairs if have a nice feature, or get them all looking out of the patio window/window for a lovely candid shot, get them to point at something. If the weather is dry get them outside. Just use a little imagination and you will be fine.

Good luck.

Thanks Adam. I know the Mum and the 15 year old daughter fairly well so them being relaxed for me shouldn't be a problem. I've never met the 15 year old lad or the baby but I have no problems with acting stupid behind the camera to get the baby looking at me and giggling.

As for taking my time, I'm getting there at 2pm and staying for my tea and may even be there all evening so time won't be an issue. I'll be able to stop and start as often as I need to.

You have a head start there then and tea thrown in. You will have a great time.

Rule no 1 when photographing kids, act like one yourself, then you wont go wrong. At the end end of the day it is all about having fun, gone are the days of stuffy portraits.

I dont shoot many 15yo, but with toddlers and kids I will keep showing them the pics, and do things like getting mum to stick tongue out and let the child push the button to take the pic so they feel part of it.

When first posing them, allow them to stand together naturally and then make minor adjustments.Try to keep it simple and as non-posed as possible.Allow them to interact and joke around with each other while posing.Keep your finger on the shutter release and take the shots at those moments when they’re having fun and being candid. This is great for capturing their true personalities.

If everyone seems uptight and uncomfortable, then break the silence with a funny story or memory you had...Go with the flow and you might be surprised that your special shot went far beyond your friend's expectations!

family portraits

Last edited:
Back