Advice on a lens

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Planning to get a 40D soon, still ringing around though, anyway it looks like its going to be body only, but my budget is very tight now and still need a lens and flashgun.

Im doing a small event for some friends and not sure which lens would be best. Ill be shooting about 100+ people in full length shots and then again close up. What can you guys recommend around £100 - £200 mark, ill be buying second hand from a local camera shop so I would like to know a what im after before I go in.

Andy :)

Kit lens and a Jessops 360 AFD flash gun off ebay might squeeze in under £100? Obviously the 50mm F1.8 has to be considered but then you'd be down to the 300 AFD flash which isn't great TBH (although I have one!).

Im not bothered about the flash at this moment in time. I can get a EX430 for around £100 later second hand.

I'm just after a lens around £100 second hand. Kit lens wasn't what I had in mind though. Thanks for the reply.

I'm just after a lens around £100 second hand. Kit lens wasn't what I had in mind though

For £100, you're really limited to the kit lens and the 50mm f/1.8! The newer version of the kit lens, the 18-55 IS is a great little lens, and you can pick them up for about £60-£70. I only sold mine because I needed something faster (so went for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8).

If you want a bit more, you could go for the Sigma 17-70, or the Canon 17-85, but you're going to be looking at closer to £200 than £100 for those. This photography lark really isn't cheap you know :shake: :D

If you were buying Nikon, Pentax or Sony, you could get an old Sigma f/2.8 24mm "Super Wide" in either AF or MF versions well within budget (apart from for Sony).

On a crop body, 24mm is OK for full length shots in portrait orientation at about 2m.

Guess ill be going for £200 then, thanks guys

If you're willing to go for £200, you might be able to get yourself a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, or a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. It'll perform better in low light that any of the other previously mentioned lenses (especially when coupled with a flash with AF assist like the 430EX), and you'll be able to get shorter shutter speeds. I couldn't be happier with mine!

I have a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 lens for my 40D and it is excellent, pretty sharp and fast for indoor/low light without flash. It's available for under £200 used.

Alternately, the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is also very highly recommended (although I don't have one, it was the other lens I was considering for my general walkaround but the Sigma happened to come up for sale first!)

a bit long for full body i think. but a very good lens for the cheap price:)

From what you've said, IS kit lens seems like perfect focal length. It's actually very sharp and set around f/5.6-8 is pretty much on a par with anything. If you need more reach, 55-250 IS is also very good indeed for the money. Perfect partnership and unbeatable price.

Lucky they are good, because you haven't really got much choice for the budget.

Back