Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have a Canon 450D with the following;

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

I've tried the 18-55 kit lens but found it a bit soft.

Therefore I'm after a lens to give me something between the 20 - 70 range, and also give me f2.8

I tend to photograph various sports (motor and non motorised), and want to get into portraits, street photography etc. I'm not too fussed about landscapes.

How would the 24-70 L lens work with the 450D? Is it wasted on a crop sensor?

I'm thinking long term here, so although I can't stretch to a full frame yet, I might get a 7D or similar next year in the interim.

Your thoughts?

thanks
Martin

Last edited:
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8? Generally the most recommended lens of it's type.

If you can stump up to it, the canon EF-s 17-55mm IS USM is the best of it's type, but the tamron comes close for less cash.
The 24-70mm is probably better for portrait with it's extra 20mm though, but you lose some of the wide end that might be useful for street photography.

Last edited:
Correct on both counts. BTW apart from your sigma 105mm I have the very same lenses in my bag as well as the Canon 17-55 and I can tell you the 17-55 is rarely off the camera and serves me well from studio work to rugged outdoor, an absolute peach of a lens. As mentioned though dont discount the tammy 17-50. I havent used one personally but if the budget wont stretch to the 17-55 it seems to be universally regarded as the next best choice.

Last edited:
Correct on both counts. BTW apart from your sigma 105mm I have the very same lenses in my bag as well as the Canon 17-55 and I can tell you the 17-55 is rarely off the camera and serves me well from studio work to rugged outdoor, an absolute peach of a lens. As mentioned though dont discount the tammy 17-50. I havent used one personally but if the budget wont stretch to the 17-55 it seems to be universally regarded as the next best choice.

Sorry for butting in...

How is the 17-55 wide open across the range? Digital Picture shows it quite poor at f2.8 however I have read a lot of rave reviews about it. I'd maybe consider the 24-70 on my current crop as I can team it with the 10-22 so won't miss the wider end.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...LensComp=101&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Andy

Hi,

I have a Canon 450D with the following;

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

I've tried the 18-55 kit lens but found it a bit soft.

Therefore I'm after a lens to give me something between the 20 - 70 range, and also give me f2.8

I tend to photograph various sports (motor and non motorised), and want to get into portraits, street photography etc. I'm not too fussed about landscapes.

How would the 24-70 L lens work with the 450D? Is it wasted on a crop sensor?

I'm thinking long term here, so although I can't stretch to a full frame yet, I might get a 7D or similar next year in the interim.

Your thoughts?

thanks
Martin

If I had a 450D and was after a standard zoom (I'm not a fan of zooms so perhaps not the best person to advise) then the 24-70/2.8 would be a no brainer as long as I had then funds.

It certainly would not be wasted on any canon dslr as the important thing is that it's future proofed for when you go FF and it will likely keep its resale value far better than canon zooms that do not offer fixed f/2.8.

I doubt many true togs ever lie awake at night thinking "if only I had gone for a cheap and cheerful lens".

Last edited:
Thanks Adrian, future proofing is worth it. I bought a Sigma 70-300 non IS, and regretted it from day one, so sold it and went for the Canon 70-300 IS - and haven't looked back.

I'm still swaying towards the 24-70.......if only to give me a bit more reach (and only a 4mm gap)...but will the lack of IS bother me...hmmm

Last edited:
Thanks Adrian, future proofing is worth it. I bought a Sigma 70-300 non IS, and regretted it from day one, so sold it and went for the Canon 70-300 IS - and haven't looked back.

I'm still swaying towards the 24-70.......if only to give me a bit more reach (and only a 4mm gap)...but will the lack of IS bother me...hmmm

24-70 is undoubtedly as good as "L" glass gets (excluding primes of course :cool:)

i have owned both in the past and think that both are excellent, the tamron is stunning value for money though.

Back