Advice on buying a Canon 70-200mm 2.8f

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I was lucky enough to own a Canon 70-100mm IS USM 2.8f for a couple of years.
A combination of being an arse, I managed to get it stolen on a overseas trip last year.
I've now the cash together to buy a replacement.
Looking around, it seems i can get a NON-IS (image stabiliser) for some £300 cheaper then one with.

My question does having the IS really worth the extra £300?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Hi all,
I was lucky enough to own a Canon 70-100mm IS USM 2.8f for a couple of years.
A combination of being an arse, I managed to get it stolen on a overseas trip last year.
I've now the cash together to buy a replacement.
Looking around, it seems i can get a NON-IS (image stabiliser) for some £300 cheaper then one with.

My question does having the IS really worth the extra £300?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Really depends what you want to take pictures of. Mainly motorsport, or action photography, you don't need IS. Low light or indoor work, weddings etc then IS becomes more useful. OPtically, there no difference between the 2 lenses, just the price tag

Stationary subjects yes, Motion No

Peter

Bear in mind as well the IS version also has weather sealing, that may or may not be important to you. The non-IS version doesn't.

Really depends what you want to take pictures of. Mainly motorsport, or action photography, you don't need IS. Low light or indoor work, weddings etc then IS becomes more useful. OPtically, there no difference between the 2 lenses, just the price tag

Stationary subjects yes, Motion No

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter.
I mainly do travel photography, and used my 70-200mm in the past for mainly outdoor shots.
While a high amount of my shots are taken in lowlight and indoor conditions in such cases I would probably grab one of my other lens, i.e Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L USM Lens, 85mm f2.8 or 50mm f2.8.

Based on this (kind of answering my own question) would you suggest going for the NON-IS?

Thanks again,
Mark

What camera do you have. Weather sealed lenses only work properly on the 1D series camera's, because thats what they were designed to be used with, if you don't have a 1D series camera and IS isn't worth the extra $$ you will have to pay, then get the non IS version

Peter

What camera do you have. Weather sealed lenses only work properly on the 1D series camera's, because thats what they were designed to be used with, if you don't have a 1D series camera and IS isn't worth the extra $$ you will have to pay, then get the non IS version

Peter

Hi Peter,
Looking to upgrade in the next couple of weeks to a Canon 5d.
Mark

Canon 5D (Mki or Mkii) aren't weather sealed

Whilst not to the same standard of the fantastic seals seen on the Canon EOS 1D series, the EOS 5D Mark II improves on the EOS 5D, featuring a multitude of dust and moisture resistant seals on the exterior

Peter

Back