ADVICE ON COMPUTER AND SCREEN PPPLEASE

Name
rob
Edit My Images
No
Hi

im looking for a fairly high performance computer for editing and a bit of gaming... the computers im looking at currently are:

the mesh ice 5 750cs

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Defaul...&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=630609&source=aw

and
the Chillblast Fusion Midgard

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/desktops/353071/chillblast-fusion-midgard

as far as a screen goes i hear ips panels are best for editing so im looking at the

Dell U2410

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

if anyone could give me some tips on both the screen and computer fronts and weather these are a good choice etc it would be much appreciated.

cheers

Rob

Of the two pcs the Mesh one looks to have better components and is considerably cheaper once you take the included monitor out of the deal (£800 inc monitor). The chillblast one uses cheaper components and gives you options that match the Mesh but at extra cost which given that it's already £800 without a monitor just makes it a very poor choice imo.

thanks for the feedback, would you say the mesh is a good choice at this price range? do you have any recommendations as far as desktop and screens go?

also do you think the screen that comes with the mesh, or the 24" upgrade.. will be good enough quality?

22" Iiyama ProLite E2208HDS-1 (1920x1080) Full HD Monitor

24" Iiyama Prolite E2407HDSD (1920x1080) Full HD Monitor

thanks

i have yes, as far as screens go i was thinking about the dell 24" u2410 which is ips panel and would be great for editing

as far as computers go i have looked into the dell xps 8000 but read this review from someone and was slightly put off by it...

"I've had an XPS 8000 for a little over a week and am far from impressed.I'm having major BIOS issues and despite having 8GB installed (win 7 64 bit) it only has 4GB usable.
Tech support tell me that the BIOS needs to be replaced (with one that supports memory re-mapping) but they dont have a fix yet and nor do they have a date for when it will be.
Surely this is something you would check before releasing to the marketplace?!?!?!
My advice is buyer beware!!!!!!!!!"

has anyone got any feedback on the 8000 model?

seems to be an issue with some motherboard and memory combos reading the dell forums..

might be worth looking at the other XPS models until the issues with that one are ironed out then?

Mesh is a more established PC manufacturer, and generally reviews well enough in CustomPC, though I'd be interested in what make the Hard drive is. I'd steer clear of the Dell personally, cheaper components, you might get better support, but I've friends who've had a few issues with Dell PCs lately.

You might also be interested in scan.co.uk and their range of 3xs systems.

I'd happily recommend the the business hardware, they are reasonably solid, especially the laptops (we've got 100 optiplexs here, however we've had some which have had hardware issues, PSUs dying, faulty USB ports and the occasional dead HDD), but it seems to me that the home pcs tend to be of a cheaper build.

I bought a Studio XPS 8000 about 3wks ago (i7 870 2.93Ghz, 8Mb DD3, Vista Premium 64bit), and generally it's been very good, although not faultless.

I wasn't aware of the RAM issue (mine shows 8Gb in the task manager, although I'm running Vista and this appears to be a W7 issue). I'll be installing W7 at some point so will keep you posted. Tbh since the machines were fairly new when I bought mine I expect to have this issue; although the good news is that according to the Dell forums they recognise the issue and are sending out replacement motherboards.

It's not good but I suppose that's the price you pay for being an early adopter of new kit.. I'd personally have waited a bit but got my machine at a very good price so couldn't pass it off.

One of my fans is a bit noisey and I think I may also have a problem with my graphics card, but tbh it's all covered by the warranty and small issues aside the spec of this machine apparently blows anything of a similar price out of the water - you can't even build one of the same spec for the same money...

I have two Dell U2410 in Dual Screen setup, and I can honestly say they are amazing. Best screens I have had, I sit in front of them for 8 - 10 hours a day, and they are great.

Thanks for all the feedback guys...

looking at the bios issues i think i may stay clear of the dell, the graphics card etc dont seem to be as good as the mesh option

this is my quote i recieved earlier today:

System Price Qty Total
Ice 5 750CS
System Base Price: £ 695.65
Intel® Core™ i5 750 Quad Core Processor (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache) - LGA1156
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Edition - 64bit English
NZXT HUSH Silent Brushed Aluminium ATX Midi Tower - Black + 700W PSU [upg £ 20.00]
ASUS P7P55D LE Mainboard - Intel Core™ i5 / i7 - LGA 1156 / ATX
4GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2x2GB)
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer
22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM
1GB ATI Radeon 5770 Graphics Accelerator GDDR5- ***DirectX 11***
24" Iiyama Prolite E2407HDSD (1920x1080) Full HD Monitor [upg £ 30.00]
7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + Limited Microsoft Office Trial
Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 - 90 Day Trial - AntiVirus/Firewall/Backup/Spamfilter
10 USB 2.0 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 4 ports at back panel) -
Network Ready PCIe Gigabit LAN
3 Years RTB Hardware Warranty - (1st year parts & labour, years 2 & 3 labour only) [upg £ 17.01]
£ 762.66 1 £ 762.66

Delivery Charge: (8am - 6pm) - Mainland UK (O Service) Standard £ 21.26
Subtotal £ 783.92
VAT £ 117.59
Total £ 901.51

good value for money?? anything that can better it for this price range?

this is including an upgrade of the tower model and screen to the 24" which apparently has better colour accuracy...its not an ips panel though. to take the screen off the order ill only be saving £109 which makes me think i should get the screen as well?

otherwise im thinking the

dell u2410

or the 2209 which is 22" and £200 where as the 2410 is 24" and £400

is it worth £200 pounds more?

i tried having a look at the 3xs systems as recommended but the link on their site was down...whats is that advantage of these systems?

cheers guys

ps im shooting on a 5dmarkii
edit in cs4 and lightroom
(and wouldnt mind a hassleblad one day if i win the lottery)

For what it's worth I installed W7 yesterday on my XPS 8000 and it's recognising all 8Gb or RAM.. although in your position I think this potential issue would make me hold fire on one of these systems for the time being too.
The graphics card in the XPS is pretty low spec (scores a whole 1 on the windows performance scale :p) but then this didn't bother me as I'm not much of a gamer, it does everything I want for the time being and is easily upgradable.

Looking at the system in the quote; personally I'd be more inclined to go with the 2.80Ghz 860 i7 processor as it has hyperthreading enabled and is significantly quicker because of it.
Also, it's been a while since I researched monitors but I'd really be looking for an IPS panel; regardless of any claims of "colour accuracy". Would only consider the bundled item if it's a good price and you can flog it on for a profit.
I have a Dell 2007WFP and have always been very pleased with it.. regarding the 22" / 24" debate, providing they've both got quality IPS panels I'd go with the smaller one given the saving, but tis personal preference really.
I'd also question the upgraded warranty since it only covers labour and you'd probably have to cover the cost of sending the unit back...

I had a look at building this myself and as far as i could see it would be more expensive to self build.....so i went for it and upgraded to i7 860 too....crazy times!! i got an 8gb card thrown in as well which makes me feel better about spending a grand in these cold recession ridden winter months!

as far as the screen goes ill be seeing what this 24" can do and if in not happy ill go for one of the dells..

thanks for all your help people

System Price Qty Total
Ice 5 750CS
System Base Price: £ 695.65
Intel® Core™ i7 860 Quad Core Processor (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) - LGA1156 [upg £ 70.00]
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Edition - 64bit English
Midi Tower XGS Gaming Chassis - Black / Black Mesh + 550W PSU
ASUS P7P55D LE Mainboard - Intel Core™ i5 / i7 - LGA 1156 / ATX
4GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2x2GB)
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer
22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM
1GB ATI Radeon 5770 Graphics Accelerator GDDR5- ***DirectX 11***
24" Iiyama Prolite E2407HDSD (1920x1080) Full HD Monitor [upg £ 30.00]
7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + Limited Microsoft Office Trial
Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
BullGuard Internet Security 8.5 - 90 Day Trial - AntiVirus/Firewall/Backup/Spamfilter
14 USB 2.0 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 8 ports at back panel) - ASUS P7P55DM /LE
Network Ready PCIe Gigabit LAN
3 Years RTB Hardware Warranty - (1st year parts & labour, years 2 & 3 labour only) [upg £ 17.01]
£ 812.66 1 £ 812.66

Component Price Qty Total
8GB Portable USB 2.0 Pen Drive £ 13.36 1 £ 13.36

Delivery Charge: (8am - 6pm) - Mainland UK (O Service) Standard £ 7.90
Order Value £ 847.28
Discount £ 13.36
Subtotal £ 833.92
VAT £ 125.09
Total £ 959.01

On the subject of the monitor, I was thinking about the U2410 at about £430.

However, the NEC ea231wmi is also an IPS screen and costs about £300, (though it is a 23").

Someone made the very good point that the cheaper IPS screens used in both models still suffer from problems, notably uneven brightness and slight colour shifts across the screen.

It therefore didn't quite make sense to spend £400+ on one while the technology wasn't quite sorted, when £300 would get you something +/- the same, albeit slightly smaller.

On the subject of the monitor, I was thinking about the U2410 at about £430.

However, the NEC ea231wmi is also an IPS screen and costs about £300, (though it is a 23").
Someone made the very good point that the cheaper IPS screens used in both models still suffer from problems, notably uneven brightness and slight colour shifts across the screen.

It therefore didn't quite make sense to spend £400+ on one while the technology wasn't quite sorted, when £300 would get you something +/- the same, albeit slightly smaller.

Just got mine delivered today and a big change from my 17" NEC.

Initally I wasn't too pleased however, until I discovered it starts up on Eco mode to save the planet.

Once you put this mode off, sunglasses are required!

The only changes to brightness I have notiiced are from the room sensor and that can be switched off.

I haven't noticed any other problems so far, in fact I am more than pleased with it.

I have a Dell U2410 at home and it's streets ahead of the Dell 2407 (2 year old model) I have at work.

Just make sure you turn down the backlight as it'll sear your retinas off... :eek:

Back