Advice on how best to do a self portrait...

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Like most people I guess - well, except those blessed with stunning good looks, I hate having my photograph taken and always prefer to be behind the lens rather than in front of it.

However, I wouldn't mind having a stab at a self portrait of some form - but I am struggling for inspiration as to what type of shot to go for, and how best to set one up.

OK I appreciate this sounds a tad dumb, but to a noobie like myself I'd like your thoughts and opinions on how best to take a self-p, and if anyone has any pseudo original ideas I could try out (with no-one but myself seeing the end results) :):)

What works, what doesn't etc...?

Thanks for asking this, as i have been trying to get my head round this today too.

I want some new avatars for various websites I'm a member of, and want to take some good self portraits.....

So I'll be watching this thread with interest ;)

Knowing you're limited with your flash at the moment I'd be inclined to go for an available light shot near a window. Don't pick a time when the sun is on the window, it will be far too contrasty, in fact even rainy days are good for this type of shot and can produce some beautiful natural looking results.

Stand in front of the camera...?

Seems like I can be relied upon to come up with a dumb answer every time..
We all have to be good at something, my Mum used to say.

Just go with whatever seems interesting - I know that is kind of an encompass all answer but just experiment & I'm sure you'll find something that works.
In my recent self portrait thread I used red & blue gels. You can pick these up from theatre & lighting shops I think for not too much outlay, make sure they are heat resistant & whack them over your table lamp or whatever light source you are using. I turned off all other lights & experimented until I got a result I liked.
I'd be tempted to go with CT's idea to begin with both with & without fill flash - also if you can use a window with a blind & with some light filtering through that may look interesting & add atmosphere.
Good luck mate & I look forward to seeing the results if you do decide to post them up here (y)

Music Man,

Rather than worrying about how you'll look and what poses to use, I'd recommend starting with thinking about how you feel (either at the moment, or in life in general) and try to portray that. It's much easier to be comfortable when you're not solely concentrating on how you look.

I despise being photographed, but I do like playing with self-portraiture, because it's a pure artistic release. Nobody else is involved in the process, and nobody else has to see the finished result. The last one I did was at a particularly happy point in my life (I'd just gotten engaged, and life was great!) and it make me happy looking at it.

- CJ

Music Man,

Rather than worrying about how you'll look and what poses to use, I'd recommend starting with thinking about how you feel (either at the moment, or in life in general) and try to portray that. It's much easier to be comfortable when you're not solely concentrating on how you look.

I despise being photographed, but I do like playing with self-portraiture, because it's a pure artistic release. Nobody else is involved in the process, and nobody else has to see the finished result. The last one I did was at a particularly happy point in my life (I'd just gotten engaged, and life was great!) and it make me happy looking at it.

- CJ
Hehe, I am way more self confident than that cj, and could absolutely care less about how I look, or what pose I should use for my shot...:) I also actually feel great at this point in my life and couldn't care less about my appearance or looks.

What I am asking is for here are some ideas behind producing a good quality self portrait. What might be good regarding lighting, flash, angle etc... for the objective of producing an interesting result. I could easily set the camera up on my tripod, position it, set the self timer, sit in front of the lens and smile - but that wouldn't - I think, yield a good result.

I am after inspiration for how I should approach the shot, and advice as to how to get the best results from those who have experience in self portraiture, and those who can advise how I get the best out of my gear - rather than if I look flattering in any resulting image!!

Ummm, OK, then. I believe when you asked for "inspiration on what to go for" and "pseudo original ideas", you were looking for something additional to how to get the best from your gear.

My suggestions were not meant to tell you how to get a flattering image. They were intended to help you dig around to come up with an interesting idea on your own.

Here's my "happy" self-portrait, which I believe goes beyond sitting in front of the lens and smiling. I'm plenty self-confident, but that doesn't make me comfortable in front of the camera, and I look for ways to get my mind off the photograph itself.

cj2c.jpg

Ummm, OK, then. I believe when you asked for "inspiration on what to go for" and "pseudo original ideas", you were looking for something additional to how to get the best from your gear.

My suggestions were not meant to tell you how to get a flattering image. They were intended to help you dig around to come up with an interesting idea on your own.

Here's my "happy" self-portrait, which I believe goes beyond sitting in front of the lens and smiling. I'm plenty self-confident, but that doesn't make me comfortable in front of the camera, and I look for ways to get my mind off the photograph itself.

cj2c.jpg

Off topic but, you are PRETTY!! :)

Good topic guys, i'm going to be watching this topic these next for weeks. :)

I've only ever taken a couple of Self-P's, and like the majority of you here, I also dislike having my photos taken..

moblog_48af3994e90cd.jpg

I quite like this, it's 'not me'. It doesn't resemble 'Jim' in anyway from what I see. Infact, I'm just nipping out for lunch but I know what I'll be doing later!:)

There is actually a massive thread going around with just that... I'll try digg it out!

**EDIT - I can't find it? I was only on there an hour ago too! 26 pages worth of banter, it was an hilarious read.

Can anyone help?! (sorry to steal the topic..)

Flash isn't always required, depends on the effect you want, mostly a self timer and or Cable release comes in handy .... mirrors can create some interesting effects as well otherwise get a photography buddy to come take your photo

A good self portrait should have you looking along your shoulder, with your arm leading upwardly towards and out of the shot. Apparently.

Michael.

Back