Advice on reptile photography

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I am after some advice one of the people in our street keeps snakes, spiders and looking for advice on taking pictures of them for her. Im worried about whether flash will spook them etc so any advice and how you take these would be appreciated

I've got some reasonable reptile shots at the zoo using longish exposures. I don't know if flash spooks them, but they do tend to stay still for periods making longer exposures quite simple.

Flash will not spook them at all. I have a Royal Python and a stunning Green Tree Python plus I have had over 40 tarantualas. What will spook them is movement from you. Some of my T's were very twitchy with shadows as lots of these hunt in the dark, especially the arboreal ones.
With snakes it depends on what species they are. Royals are very tame and so you can take brilliant pictures of them, same would go for Burmese Pythons and Red Tail Boa's. My GTP is very sensitive to heat and doesn't like being handled making taking pictures awkward as when you try get into position, it wants to strike out as it thinks your hands food because it's a heat signature. All good fun though. The picture below was taken with my G9 compact as it's a quick fuss free way of getting some images.
2vv2set.jpg

Thanks to both of you for the advice :) she has tarantualas too but I dont intend getting close especially not in any strike zones lol will be using long lenses !! good to know flash wont spook them will let you know how I get on once we arrange an evening

Back