Advice on using a tripod - from someone who got it wrong!

Name
Christine
Edit My Images
Yes
Normally when using a tripod you extend the upper part first as this is thicker and therefore stronger than the bottom sections.

If you are on the beach, wet or sandy area extend the lower parts first to keep all the joints/fixtures out of the water/sand

For some reason I did not think about this as I usually do (possibly because by then my brains had been frozen into immobility by the wind) when on the beach on Sunday and when I came to rinse off the tripod when I got home I discovered all the connectors and moving parts were full of sand and two sections had completely seized up and the other made a horrible crunching noise when extended! :bonk:

I am however, happy to report it is possibly to take a tripod apart, wash it, get it dry and put it back together again (and even have it working!!)

i know what you mean. i have resigned to the fact i have to strip mine down after a beach visit. its a waste of time being careful, the sand will find a way in the joints no matter what.
To tell the truth, for a 10 minute job stripping it down and cleaning it, it can save a lot of frustration at a later date when your out and about with cold hands and the damn thing gets stuck :(

I can add to this... if it is even slightly windy it matters little which bits you extend as the salt & sand get into everything.
OK, it may have been a bit extreme when I went to the beach last but still, it got into everything. Even my ballhead!

Silly question maybe, but couldn't one just put three bin liners over the legs fixed with rubber bands?

I use a cheap one and don't care. :p

The way I see it, any extra bits of sand in the joints will help take up the slack and stop it wobbling so much. If it seizes, then at least it'll be rigid. :D

My gitzo comes completely apart). It then goes in the bath, gets showered down, dried and comes to bed with me.

Good grief! Wash your mouth out! We're discussing tripods?

Not got that problem here mate.
Unilok tripod - big as a beast, handles like a stoned octopus, but pretty well sealed. Had it for 15 years, been submerged, buried in dirt, covered in beer, but still going strong(y)

Dean:)

I've never taken my tripods to bed with me nor out boozing.

What are you guys up to? :naughty:

On the first point - it is better to use the most sturdy parts of the tripod first - which is the thickest parts of the legs not the top pole. Three legs better than one stick right?

Get a wooden tripod..:razz:

Get a wooden tripod..:razz:

I had a wooden tripod
It had wooden legs
It had a wooden centre pole
Wooden feet
Wooden head............................................

Wooden hold my bloody camera still:LOL:
:coat:

Dean:)

Back