Advice please - Lens for a 400d

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, im upgrading my trusty 300d for a 400d, and im going to replace the kit lens with something decent. im new-ish to photography and dont have any particular fav area ie, landscape/portrait, so for now i just want a good all round lens. i understand you get what you pay for so im looking at a canon 24-105L. what do u think? thanks, Tony

It's a great lens and next on my "to buy list" I don't think you'll regret it, unless you take up bird togging as soon as it's in your kit bag ;):LOL:

Tara

Just got a 24-105L, a mate has one that I'd borrowed a couple of times and I decided to get my own.

They do come up on here every so often, at the moment there is a brand new one for sale from sym_richard - I got mine off him. Hes asking £740, which is a fair bit cheaper than most other places (jessops want over £1k). Expect to pay £600-650 for a used one.
Should come with hood, cap and pouch.

Remember to budget for a filter / CPL etc, its 77mm so will be a bit more than filters for your kit lens.

:), only concern is the loss of wide angle, but then i think how many times ive shot at 18mm? not many. the other thing i thought is would i be better off spliting the budget in half an getting two lenses. ive already got a 55-200 canon though, which isnt great, but its ok.

Whatever else you buy, make sure you get a nifty fifty. Invaluable lens for many, many reasons (ridiculous value for money, low light performance, composition practice, portraits, sharpness to name but a few). Search here (and on Google), for more info.

For the record, it's this lens. Buy it. Now :¬)

I use a 24-105L as my main lens. I don't miss the wider angle bits much. I occassionally buy an UWA, flirt with it for a while, then it doesn't get used, so sell it and then regret it... Done that twice now!

50mm f1.8 (nifty fifty) is a good entry into the world of primes and wide apertures.

yeah just looked at the nifty fifty. F/1.8 for £75 notes, sounds good to me

Back