Advice please, nikon 180mm or 80-200mm?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
Would appreciate some advice, I'm having trouble deciding on the above lenses, I mainly want it for dog portraits, only thing that maybe puts me off the zoom is the weight factor, how heavy does it really feel?! Image quality is my preforance but it real terms is there much difference?
I'm used to shooting with fixed focals lengths so thats not a problem, my budget is £400 at most. found a mint second hand 180mm from a shop with 12 months waranty for £385, if I do go for the zoom would want the 2 ring version came close to 1 on ebay for my budget but left it too late!
I shoot with a D50.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

I have the AFS 80-200 and it is fairly heavy 1.5Kg or thereabouts. Initially when I first had it my arms started aching after using it but that soon wears off and you get used to the weight.

I think the D version is slightly lighter, and the 180mm is about half the weight – but that makes it no featherweight.

I know you stated you don’t mind using primes but I don’t think I could live with a fixed 180mm lens.

I know primes are known to have better image quality but I can’t see there being much difference at this level.

I personally would go with the 80-200 just for the versatility but these are a bit more expensive and as you said heavier.

You can always go to a shop and try a 70-200vr they are about the same weight as an 80-200.

Good luck

Julian

Back