Advice Please

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I've managed to get hold of a press pass for a "Little Dragon" gig in February but gig shooting (and portraiture in general) is all new to me. I use a 5d and the standard 24-105, but is this useable with the expected light conditions? Was thinking of renting a lens if my equipment would be totally unsuitable. This project makes me feel so out of water but a challenge that I'll embrace non the less. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Try practising with your exiting kit in low light conditions to get a feel for what it is capable of. Then go to a couple of student gigs before you do the Little Dragon gig. If you play your cards right you could well get in to the student gigs in exchange for PR photos. The issue with gigs is the uneven nature of the light, it gives automatic metering systems a real head ache. Your current 24-105, could be ok. It will rather depend where you are relative to the stage. If at the wide end you can cover 50% of the stage then you'll be able to do some decent close ups of individuals. If you're so far back that the lens can see the whole stage then you may well need another lens for detailed stuff. The other issue is that you'll be using the lens wide open most of the time and hoping for sufficient shutter speed to prevent blur. You're going to have some soft shot whether you like it or not.

Personally I'd get as much low light photography in as you can before the event, go out and shoot the Christmas lights they offer similar challenges to a gig shoot.

One thing to reember is that fast ISO's are not a problem, and can add to the atmosphere if the pictures.
As evolutionist says, metering isn't so easy, so think hard and concentrate. A faster lens will help, but low-light practice will pay off more. Can you check out the venue before the gig as that will tell you what sort of focal length will be best and give you some idea of viewpoints. Christmas lights, candle-lit shots, street lights etc are all good to give some ides of metering - I would use spot metering as this will help - good luck !

and some capable - possibly working photograher - may well be denied one as a result. :thinking:
That's a bit harsh, would you turn down an opportunity on that basis?

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. I've not really gone above iso 100 in the past as I mainly shoot landscapes. Think I'll try and get a few local events in before hand as I don't think I can rely on getting lucky, but hadn't thought of trying some xmas lights, which I think is a good idea. I'll have to learn how to use my light meter (yes, I know that sounds crazy) as I simply shoot at the moment by reading the histogram, which is fine for a set scene, but a dynamic gig may not give me this luxury. Think I'll hold off the lens hire for now-I'll just get out there practicing! Thanks again.

and some capable - possibly working photograher - may well be denied one as a result. :thinking:

So how do you suggest someone who has never done it before gets involved if they are not allowed to get a pass?

The working photographer should have got his name in sooner, he is obviously not a very good one if he didnt.

I got my press pass for next years bloodstock festival 3 months ago, Im not a pro and wont be getting paid, but not my problem if a working tog misses out because he left it too late.

I wouldn't have to - I'm entitled to a press pass.

jeez, here we go again. Round the wagons up!

In my business, you go out and get work, you dont wait for it to come to you, I'd think photography is exactly the same. If an 'entitled' tog or 'capable' tog doesnt make the effort to apply then why shouldnt someone else, who has the necessary smarts to get their first, have a go?

Way too many people sat in front of PC's shouting 'I dont believe it!' instead of just getting on and doing TBH

In my business, you go out and get work, you dont wait for it to come to you, I'd think photography is exactly the same. If an 'entitled' tog or 'capable' tog doesnt make the effort to apply then why shouldnt someone else, who has the necessary smarts to get their first, have a go?

Way too many people sat in front of PC's shouting 'I dont believe it!' instead of just getting on and doing TBH

Amen!

Yep here we go again, you picking an argument with a forum member, without the ability to back it up on your own..............How unusual.

No argument at all - just a simple fact. Press passes are intended for press photographers - and are usually in limited supply. 'Getting hold of one' when you are not entitled to one can only mean being economical with the truth.

I don't wish an argument - that's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Yep here we go again, you picking an argument with a forum member, without the ability to back it up on your own..............How unusual.

:shrug:
Back up on my own? You're going to have to explain that one, cos you've lost me. Perhaps you shouldnt have commented at all, seeing as you have nothing to add? Or is it because a fellow pro has said something that makes other pros look a bit insular?

No argument at all - just a simple fact. Press passes are intended for press photographers - and are usually in limited supply. 'Getting hold of one' when you are not entitled to one can only mean being economical with the truth.

So a break for someone shouldnt be taken up? Would Matt Sayle have got so far in such a short time if he'd your kind of encouragement?

I am sure that the that the press pass has been issued to the holder based on his credentials. good luck to him!

If he has been given one, the venue, promoter or band have deemed that he is entitled to one. Who are you to say he is not?

Same old, same old; some things (read: people) never change.

Good on you for getting the pass, Scott, go have a practice first. (y)

I knew this one would be heated! My sister is in the music industry and she has placed her faith in me to come up with the goods. I can hold my own with any competent tog out there, yet far from being a pro, I don't feel intimidated about shooting next to pros, because guess what-they are just people like me, but with more experience (and not necessarily ability) and although I have far to go, I'm on that journey and won't pass up a great opportunity. To be enriched in life, one must look fondly at the chances taken, not the ones missed.

Oh, and thanks every one for the advice and thumbs up. (y)

I knew this one would be heated! My sister is in the music industry and she has placed her faith in me to come up with the goods. I can hold my own with any competent tog out there, yet far from being a pro, I don't feel intimidated about shooting next to pros, because guess what-they are just people like me, but with more experience (and not necessarily ability) and although I have far to go, I'm on that journey and won't pass up a great opportunity. To be enriched in life, one must look fondly at the chances taken, not the ones missed.

Best of luck!!!!

Very nicely put, my lad's in the music industry too and speaking from his experience you should grab every chance that comes your way.

The very best of luck to you! (y)

Try practising with your.............

..............Personally I'd get as much low light photography in as you can before the event, go out and shoot the Christmas lights they offer similar challenges to a gig shoot.
Great advice, thanks from me too! I was also looking for similar pointers :)
Not on such a scale but it's important to me (and the band). The last ever Smalltown Heroes original line-up gig :)

Cheers Mike!

so what if someone misses out, life is not fair deal with it.

hope the OP enjoys the experience

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very sad that only about a quarter of the replies to this thread are on topic.
What has happened to the most friendly forum on the internet ?

Its very sad that only about a quarter of the replies to this thread are on topic.
What has happened to the most friendly forum on the internet ?

some folk are a little too precious unfortunately.

ive mellowed...but not much. I thought i'd give Ade a fair chance to reply, but hes not, so i'll assume he just posted to troll.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Back