Beginner Advice Please

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
tonight I'm going on a roof top walk around a Abbey I want to photograph the scene below,ie street market and Christmas lights,I shall be up there about 6-15 pm tonight,no tripods allowed will I still get photos??many thanks

tonight I'm going on a roof top walk around a Abbey I want to photograph the scene below,ie street market and Christmas lights,I shall be up there about 6-15 pm tonight,no tripods allowed will I still get photos??many thanks
Take a bean bag or something similar that you can use to brace a camera against a wall or ledge, slow deep breaths...

You can definitely get a photograph, but how good it will be will depend on your technique and ability to adapt to the available situation combined with you knowledge of the capabilities of your equipment and the settings to use with it to get the best result under the circumstances.

I'm hoping the scene below will be lit and I was going to use a canon 7dmkii with a 10-18 wide angle lens 3.5-5.6
But I can take a nifty 50 1.8 but I was hoping to get the light bulbs with the star effect but will that mean having the Iso
up to high?many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that you'll be around EV4 for that type of subject, which at f/5.6 would be 1/15 at ISO3200. That's do-able at 18mm with a firm brace against a solid object.

What's "too high" for ISO on a 7Dii? - when I had my 40D I could get a usable result from a raw at ISO800 so I'd be very disappointed if a 7Dii couldn't exceed that by several stops.

Many thanks I have this thing about keeping the iso low as possible ,I'm going on to a floodlight rugby match after but my results haven't been that good at previous matches but tonight I'm using my 70-200 l 2.8 and I'm going to keep it at 2.8. All night.

Many thanks I have this thing about keeping the iso low as possible
Don't worry about it, no point buying the high spec cameras if you're not going to use their spec to it's fullest. Better an image at high ISO than none at all, and ISO noise is easier to deal with in processing than movement blur or insufficient depth of field.

Take a bean bag or something similar that you can use to brace a camera against a wall or ledge, slow deep breaths...

This and if you are taking slow deep breaths, shoot when you have breathed out (expelled the air) rather than when you've breathed in and holding your breath...

My guess is that you'll be around EV4 for that type of subject, which at f/5.6 would be 1/15 at ISO3200. That's do-able at 18mm with a firm brace against a solid object.

What's "too high" for ISO on a 7Dii? - when I had my 40D I could get a usable result from a raw at ISO800 so I'd be very disappointed if a 7Dii couldn't exceed that by several stops.
Impressive knowledge (y)

And whilst you're leaning out from the battlements, don't drop the effing camera - it could kill several innocent pedestrians from that height. Strap and neck are words that spring to mind.

I have a little table ;)
Could you point me in the direction of such a table please? (assuming they're online of course ;)) I have one that lists the EV of certain conditions (although not pulled my finger out to learn it yet :oops: :$) but not one that then lists the different exposure settings.

Could you point me in the direction of such a table please?
I put my own together from the information posted here.

(the settings chart is Chart B towards the bottom of the page)

image.jpeg Got a mono pod thanks,it was just to windy last night for anything,enjoyed the visit though.Rugby after was better.thanks.

Took this image last night from the Abbey roof of Bath Rugby ground.image.jpeg

You need to shoot with a small aperture to get the star effect. I find f16 to work best for this but f11 and up will produce good results, however to get the best you need f16 @15-30 secs iso 100 depending on the overall light in the environment, this cant be done without a tripod or a solid base. Raising your iso and lowering the aperture to get a shutter speed suitable for hand holding will not get you the star effect. I hope this helps. this image was shot with those settings for an example.

https://500px.com/photo/130105725/way-ay-man-by-andrew-musgrave

Sorry i don't know how to post from 500px to this site so you'll have to look at the link to see it. i hope this helps.

A question,in the daylight the lights are on around the Christmas market and tree,if I put on a Nd filter ,I only have a very dark one 10? I think could I take a shot in daylight and get the lights to give me the star effect?thank you.

Back