Advice - Right Angle Viewfinders

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Hello TP'ers

I am looking for some advice looking for a right angle viewfinder. The problem is though I do not want to end up buying two of them.

I am currently using a Nikon D80 (rectangular eyepiece fitting) and I have found the Seagull 3025 Right angle Viewfinder that will fit the D80 (as well as a range of other cameras).

http://www.firstcall-photographic.c...ll/seagull-right-angle-viewfinder-for-d-slrs/

However, I will at some stage quite soon be upgrading to a FF SLR. and I don't think the 3025 will fit the D700 (which has a circular eyepiece fitting as far as I can see).

The problem with the D700 is that the live view doesn't articulate so an angled viewfinder will still be needed, and I'm not sure if the Canon 5D MkII's viewfinder articulates, but even if it did I think I would still use an angled viewfinder.

So my problem is this. I want an angle viewfinder that I can use now on my D80 and hopefully it will have adaptors that I can use on a D700.

Any help or links greatly appreciated. thank you.

Scott

I have a Hoodman right angle finder and that came with four adaptors, two for Nikon and two for Canon, they can be put in most cameras, ive used it on a D80, D2x, D2xs, D2hs and now on the D3. I know this doesnt help with the Seagul, but looking at the picture it would appear that it also comes with viewfinder adaptors.

Yes the seagull finder does come with a complete set of adapters to fit all the main makes of dslrs. i have them with mine

Yes the seagull finder does come with a complete set of adapters to fit all the main makes of dslrs. i have them with mine

Thanks Grouch

So if an adaptor fits a rectangular eyepiece, it will also fit a circular eyepiece?

I have a Hoodman right angle finder and that came with four adaptors, two for Nikon and two for Canon, they can be put in most cameras, ive used it on a D80, D2x, D2xs, D2hs and now on the D3. I know this doesnt help with the Seagul, but looking at the picture it would appear that it also comes with viewfinder adaptors.

Thank you Ecsy

Does the Hoodman have adaptors that will fit Nikon rectangle eyepieces (D80) and Nikon circular eyepieces (D700)? Do you have a link for the model of hoodman that will do the job?

Rgds

I'm looking at this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAGULL-3-3x-...raphy_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item1c08eb2bd6

...but there seems to be some ambiguity where adaptors are concerned. It says it fits D700, D3, D2X etc at the top of the page but scroll down to the "Suitable For" and the D700 isn't listed.

This seller seems to be speaking in broken English which doesn't always help matters, but it looks like this might be the one I need?

I bought mine from Fotosense a while back for £82 but ive just checked their website and it appears they dont do them any more, however, Clifton Cameras have them http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Hoodman_H_Rav_Universal_Right_Angled_Viewer

Excellent mate, thanks. They're just up the road from me (well, the motorway) so will definately contact them. I'm held back from eBay and overseas sellers as I'm the old fashioned type who likes to hold something and see first hand before I part with my money.

Rgds

Well if you want to have a go with it before you buy one you can always have a go with mine if you want to meet up one day as im not far from you, just the other side of Chippenham.

Well if you want to have a go with it before you buy one you can always have a go with mine if you want to meet up one day as im not far from you, just the other side of Chippenham.

Thanks Ecsy. Clifton Cameras are 30 mins up the A38 from me so I'll just take the camera up.

I bought a Seagull right angle finder for my D300, and it came with several RECTANGULAR adapters. Have a look on this page of the Speedgraphics site and you will see an adapter for the Seagull, to use on Nikon cameras with round eyepieces, for £6.25.
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/cat.a...erBy=1&orderDir=ASC&paging=1&start=40&rows=10

Thanks David.

Interesting, nice to know. All that remains to be seen is which of the two is optically better.

Rgds

Bought the Hoodman today. High tide at sunset today so not able to do any beach shots, but can't wait to get this gadget to the coast. Going to do a (Bristol) cathedral interior this afternoon to try it out.

Rgds

Back