Advice sought (HELP!) - Elinchrom D-lite2

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all...

Recently a very kind woman (an old pro) gave me two Elinchrom D-lite2's...

I went and purchased the skyport and thought i was ready to go... However, i am having some issues, and hopefully someone can advise me!!!

When i press the up/down buttons nothing happens - according to all the YouTube viedos i have watched, this is where i should be able to adjust the groups, sync my skyport etc etc...

I have also notised there is no 'prop' writing above my bulb button... :/ Aaaaand, i cannot see the letters 'RX' or 'IT' anywhere... just plain old 'D-Lite 2'...

Does this mean im screwed? haha... If anyone can help me out with some links or info i would be eternally gratefull!!

Big Thanks... Dede :)

Hi Andrew! Thanks for the link, yes, those ones!

I see it says 'photocell, for remote trigggering'... I have a wireless trasmitter, so i could look into the reciever(?)... I was obviously trying to avoid cables running all over the place :/

Thanks for the help :)

I have also notised there is no 'prop' writing above my bulb button... :/ Aaaaand, i cannot see the letters 'RX' or 'IT' anywhere... just plain old 'D-Lite 2'...

Does this mean im screwed? haha... If anyone can help me out with some links or info i would be eternally gratefull!!

Afraid so, it sounds like you have the first version which doesn't have an integrated Skyport receiver.

The easiest solution with your current setup would be to buy the universal Skyport receiver which just plugs into the rear sync port like any other radio trigger, it won't let you adjust power though as only the RX offers that feature.

Not especially cheap though, you might be better off just using a generic radio trigger as it'll work just as well or you could add an IT or RX head to the mix.

photocell is for remote triggering by detecting another flash - usually one flash will trigger the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.
You could use a in-camera flash or hotshoe mounted flash with the power dialled to the minimum and pointing away from the subject to minimise its own effect.

but I think your new skyport kit probably won't work without extra bits depending on which model it is. The more recent Elinchrom heads have sky port receivers built into them

Or use the
'photocell, for remote trigggering'
with a muted on-camera flash - but this whilst not interfering much with the overall lighting can introduce a source of unwanted reflective highlights ... so not suitable for all scenarios, but is free / cheap.

(I wrote that as Andrew above was posting.)

Next cheapest option might be to run a sync lead to one head and allow that to trigger the other(s) optically. Yes it's a trip hazard but so are the light stands themselves ...

Last edited:
You can also use an IR blaster instead of a radio trigger (sits on top of the camera like a radio trigger), costs about as much as the old Skyport trigger.

I’d return the sky port and buy cheap radio triggers.
Your older heads aren’t going to benefit from trying the best you can with skyport kit, you might as well go for the cheap and easy option,

Thank you guys, really appreciat the assistance!!! :)

I have returned the skyport and am making the journey to WEX tomorrow (its my nearest and biggeste shop) to try and find the right/cheap alternative!!!

Really appreciate it and i shall of course return for more advice haha... Thanks!

PS... I have the Yongnuo speedlights with the Magmod boob getting me by atm, but want to explore more etc...

Back