Beginner Advice wanted - Film Camera essentials for Desert environment.

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a trip to Morocco coming up in a little over a month and a few days booked to camp at the edges of the Sahara near Merzouga. I've decided to pack light and take my FM3a and 50mm 1.2. What precautions should I take more than usual, if any?

I know to load out of direct sunlight if possible and will keep my blower handy. But other than that and UV filter perhaps, is there anything else I should think about? I picked up a 'soft release' button to keep the shutter cable hole sealed tight.

As always, your wealth of experience and invaluable advice is appreciated!

On a practical level, if you can be inside a vehicle or tent when you reload a new film, that's ideal, otherwise turn your back to the wind and hunch over the camera to load and wind on the leader before closing the back. That worked for me doing MF and 35mm in the Namib where it was windy. If your trip takes you through Ouarzazate or Zagora, those are interesting towns, and the high Atlas you go through to get down to the desert can be good.

Just thought, circular polariser might be an idea, to get the best from the skies over the desert.

Back