Beginner Advise on this Canon FD 135mm Lens

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just seen this on EBay

I have a Sony NEX 5T and haven't used an adapter before, do they result in performance loss?

The lens itself looks in good condition and as I only have a Sony 16-55mm lens I think this is a nice addition.

I think I can survive with only MF as its what I use 80% of the time.

Any thoughts appreciated especially if you have used this lens.

Ta - Matt

You won't see any performance loss as the adapter has no glass elements :)

Most 135mm lenses of that era will perform well, note that the price is very high though. Typical prices range from £10-25 (for a good dealer copy).

There may also be more interesting 135mm lenses around e.g. Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 preset, which has lovely smooth bokeh.

You can get adapters for most lenses on Sony Nex (Canon FD, Nikon, M42, Pentax K, Olympus OM, Leica R, Contax/Yashica, Leica rangefinder, Exakta, Praktica PB, Minolta MD etc.)

Last edited:
Yup on the high price. Postage to add too. They seem to be £25 at Ffordes+postage..

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/FD

135 is possibly a bit long on a crop body and might be difficult to focus and hand hold without IS unless the light is good. I have several FD lenses and they seem to perform well on both my MFT and A7 cameras. Adapters range from under £10 to about £100.

My favourite 135mm so far is a Minolta Rokkor f2.8, you pay more for f2.8's though.

Last edited:
You won't see any performance loss as the adapter has no glass elements :)

Most 135mm lenses of that era will perform well, note that the price is very high though. Typical prices range from £10-25 (for a good dealer copy).

There may also be more interesting 135mm lenses around e.g. Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 preset, which has lovely smooth bokeh.

You can get adapters for most lenses on Sony Nex (Canon FD, Nikon, M42, Pentax K, Olympus OM, Leica R, Contax/Yashica, Leica rangefinder, Exakta, Praktica PB, Minolta MD etc.)

Yup on the high price. Postage to add too. They seem to be £25 at Ffordes+postage..

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/FD

135 is possibly a bit long on a crop body and might be difficult to focus and hand hold without IS unless the light is good. I have several FD lenses and they seem to perform well on both my MFT and A7 cameras. Adapters range from under £10 to about £100.

My favourite 135mm so far is a Minolta Rokkor f2.8, you pay more for f2.8's though.

Thanks for the pointers. Done a bit of researching on the price and it is higher than elsewhere. The NEX adapter is around £10-20
Really like the look of the Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 - Google tells me its the BOKEH MONSTER!?

I will do a little more research, as Alan pointed out there is quite a price range in adapters so before I get one I need to look at what lens brands/types I like!

Back