Advise please: buy a D7000 or wait?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I've been using a D40x for about 5 years now and have a range of lenses and flashes. I've been itching to upgrade for sometime now. I was thinking of going for the D7000 when it was released and Wilkinson had it for cheap, then the price was hiked up, now it's coming down a little again, I'm thinking should I wait for a new model ?D7100 (if such a thing will exist). I was all set for getting a D600 when the price tag was rumoured at $1500 but now knowing the RRP for £2k it's out of my price range.
What's other people's opinions? I'm guessing a lot of people who were waiting for the D600 with the rumoured cheap price tag are in the same boat as me.

If you would still like to go full frame,the price of the D600 will come down,or even an s/h D700.
How soon an replacement for the D7000 ?

Their are a couple of other cameras due for replacement,the D300s and the D90,before the D7000.

I think before your next move decide if you still want to stay cropped or move over to full frame :)

I'm in the same boat, I'm going to wait till Photokina next week and if nothing gets anounced there I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the D7000.

As others have said, if you keep waiting there will always be something new on the horizon...just do it and enjoy!

The D7000 is only just over £700 at the moment which seems good value to me, can't see it coming down much more.

Well its my Birthday at the start of next month so I'm just going to get one ordered. It might well drop further but its a good time for me to buy.

I too upgraded from a d40x. 1500 shots on and wouldn't say I have tamed it yet... There is much to learn. I bought from amazon for £715. I have ordered Hogans book and am ploughing through D Buschs book. The iSo performance is mind blowing compared to d40x. The autofocus is the hardest bit for me. The metering seems way more accurate. I am enjoying the bigger monitor and the rgb histograms. I miss changing the playback of the shot with the command dial of the d40 though. The 6 fps is great fun.
I am looking forward to trying off camera flash when I upgrade my sb400 though.

I have inherited a 50mm 1.8 (pre d) lens today from a friend and can enjoy autofocus now on it with d7k - whereas d40 would mean manual focus.

The old adage of buying better gear won't make better photos is always true, but my skills have been forced up massively since buying 7k as I have read more books, researched more blogs, and am trying new projects to get to know my camera. Joining the local camera club is fun too. Now enjoying Aperture instead of iPhoto and loving the Nik efex black and white plug in.

At present I have a Nikon 18-200 which I love and a 35mm 1.8 G which is crackingly sharp and an sb 400 flash.
I am tossing up whether to flog my d40x or keep it as a spare.... But I would like an sb600 (when does it stop?) and still need a tripod.

When you upgrade (I know you will ) get a decent strap as it is bigger and heavier than a d40 and the Nikon one doesn't cut the mustard.

Cheers

Mike

Hi - in my opinion it depends on what you want - better low light, fps and iq and I would look at a s/h d700 - but that might mean some changes in glass. But if you want resolution and awesome video then a d7000 would be an excellent move. I just sold my my mint D7000 for £550 whereas a good D700 will cost you £1100 so big price difference as well as the potential associated costs.

I will add that I recently bought a D800 to replace my D700 - but I still use my D700 as much as the new one, it handles beautifully is great indoors and with a battery pack it's good for 8fps which is often quite handy -took some great pics on holiday with kids diving in pool and generally playing, but it really depends on your main subject matter. D700 is big so it depends on your preference for light weight v cumbersome as well.

But rest assured D7000/D700 would be an excellent upgrade to your D40, autofocus alone will be a very noticeable enhancement.

Have fun :)

Good
Point re strap the AN 6w is a good alternative, Though look on eBay for these as they are half the uk price from Hong Kong :)

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking of getting it from http://www.panamoz.com/ so with the instant replacement warranty and a spare battery it'll be just over £600. I think I should just bite the bullet unless you really think there might be a further announcement at photokina next week?

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking of getting it from http://www.panamoz.com/ so with the instant replacement warranty and a spare battery it'll be just over £600. I think I should just bite the bullet unless you really think there might be a further announcement at photokina next week?

I'm in a very similar position in that I'm about to upgrade from a D50 to the D7000, and I intend to get mine from Panamoz too. I've been waiting to see if Photokina makes a difference before I buy mine, just in case there is an announcement, although all the pointers I have had suggest the D7000 will not be replaced in the near future. It is only a few days now anyway, so I reckon it is worth waiting. It is worth keeping an eye on the price at Panamoz as it has been dropping recently. According to them it is due to the £ being strong against the HK$ rather than any expectation of a D7000 replacement! We'll see! Either way, waiting a few days more can't do any harm, can it?!!

Well I've requested them to do the invoice for me to BT and if nothing comes at photokina early this week I'm gonna go for it.

The D7000 is a pretty good camera now. It will still be a god camera when it's replacement is finally announced and after another wait comes to the market.

So if you want to get one get one ow instead of possibly waiting months for a rumour that may have features you don't like at a price you cannot afford.

I get confused with Nikon's higher end of the consumer market. I've always thought of the D7000 as being the replacement for the D90, yet the D90 is still for sale and is I think 4 years old!

Punjabi Geezer said:
I get confused with Nikon's higher end of the consumer market. I've always thought of the D7000 as being the replacement for the D90, yet the D90 is still for sale and is I think 4 years old!

Nikon stated at the time the d7000 wasn't a d90 replacement, although they often say that and then the older model just gets phased out. I'm pretty sure d90 have ceased production, but there is still a lot of stock out there on sale.

Same has happened with the d3200, it's claimed the d3100 will continue production alongside it, but I bet within a few months, the d3100 will vanish.

I'll just kick myself if a D7100 comes out in 2 months. To be honest the only thing I'd be after in a new model is improvement on the video side of things which I believe the D600 has. In any case I've been without video with a D40x for 5 years, so having any video functionality is an immediate bonus.

Why not just wait to nearer to Christmas..Sales and such like and see if there are any changes. That way if they do bring out a D7100 in time for Christmas you might be able to pick up the D7000 much cheaper than it is now.

Talking of the D90, I was offered one last year for £50 from someone who had gone shopping in Argos during the Riots.

I went to a couple of local shops yesterday to look at a D7000 - I'm picking up a new lens soon and wanted a new body to test it with. One shop would have sold me one if they'd had it in stock and another independent offered to price match with Amazon £709 but said he thought I should wait. D7000 prices have dropped markedly and they're starting to get difficult for the retailers to get hold of he reckoned.

The implication was that Photokina was worth waiting for - and that was with me stood in the shop credit card at the ready!

Last edited:
Now I'm confused! I think I'll wait and what photokina brings, if no further announcements I might just go for the D7000 as I'm guessing any new camera will be around. £200-300 more.

Back