Advise Request - Manual Extension Tubes with D3000

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

Thanks for reading this post.

I have a D3000 with std kit lens 18mm - 55mm VR AF-S. I love it and have been happily snapping away and learning a little bit each time. I have had an idea for a photo and it requires a close up of a flower. I have been reading articles etc on macro photography and am starting to understand lens impacts on this type of photography. Ideally I should get a marco lens, but a) i can't afford one at the moment, b) I am just starting out and don't want to put a lot of expenses in just yet.

So, after some research I have found out about close up filters and manual extension tubes. These aren't perfect, but my photo's suffer from a lack of experience and ability LOL. Therefore I budget option of filters or tubes for under £20 seem idea for me at the moment.

Tubes have been reviewed as the better of the 2 options above, but what I don't quite understand is if a manual tube can work on my D3000. As the D3000 has auto focus in the lens, then manual tube will stop that from working. Yes, I have read the manual, but I am still none the wiser. Am I going to get error messages on my camera, or will the full manual mode with the manual focal length dial and the auto focus switch to manual work?

Please help, my head hurts.

Matt

Manual tubes are a pain in the ass to use, focus is manual - but that not a issues as you are better off using manual focus for macro its aperture thats the problem, you lose ability to control aperture from the body so everything will be shot wide open giving you minimal DOF. Autotubes are good, or look at a raynox clipon lens.

Manual tubes are a pain in the ass to use, focus is manual - but that not a issues as you are better off using manual focus for macro its aperture thats the problem, you lose ability to control aperture from the body so everything will be shot wide open giving you minimal DOF. Autotubes are good, or look at a raynox clipon lens.

Hiya,

Cheers for your response.

So would you advise going with a close up filter rather than the tubes as they will allow full use of the camera's aperture functions.

Matt

Thinking about it, does this also mean that if I had a non AF-S lens I would have the same problem with the lack of aperture control, unless the lens had a manual ring which meant I didn't need the computer in the camera body to control the aperture opening.

Matt

Thinking about it, does this also mean that if I had a non AF-S lens I would have the same problem with the lack of aperture control, unless the lens had a manual ring which meant I didn't need the computer in the camera body to control the aperture opening.

Matt

its still a pain with a aperture ring as you need to have the lens set to its biggest aperture to focus otherwise the image is very dark in the viewfinder, then step it down before taking the shot without losing the focus, have a look at the raynox conversion lens - but i'm not sure how usefully that will be with your lens - looking at the web site they recommend a longer focal length.

i did have a set of non-auto tubes and i never used them as they were frustrating- auto tubes are great

Back