AE Lock

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
When doing AE lock do you have to hold the button down the whole time?

I was trying it with my 5d mark II, I have back button focus set up. It's therefore impossible to hold the * button and press the Af-on button at the same time. Well not impossible, but hardly easy.

So then I set it so that the half press of the shutter does AE lock and the af-on the focus - which is fine, except the whole point of doing back button was so I don't have to have my finger half cocked on the shutter all the time.

is there a way to lock AE without the need to hold a button, just locks it until you take a shot or disable it ?

Joe,

You should push it once then ul see a * in the viewfinder this shows the expsoure as beign locked, it is on the 40D anyway.

You should push it once then ul see a * in the viewfinder this shows the expsoure as beign locked, it is on the 40D anyway.
It's the same on the 5DII, push it once and release, there's no need to keep in pressed. The * will appear in the viewfinder and you can use the AF-ON on the back independantly.

I see it appear but then it goes away as soon as i no longer hold it.

If i switch to just having the shutter as my focus etc and dont use back button focus then pressing * makes it stay there, but I want to do back button and get AE lock with just one press

Last edited:
Try going through your custom setting menu there is a screen that allows you to customise the buttons, I dont think I had to change it on mine though, the functionality is definitely there.

Solved it, I had to change my custom function from 3 to 2 for the Operation of those buttons. As it was the shutter was set to AE lock and required holding. But if I change the shutter to be on Meter start then the * button works with just one press!

I was just flicking through my menus, glad you sorted it. (y)

Back