AE1-P with 50mm F1.8

Name
Yee Siang
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken with Kodak Tri-X 400 for B & W and Fujifilm Superia 200 for color @ Edinburgh

1)
5530374323_478b7d2c05_b.jpg

2)
5530374159_0ef2afccc3_b.jpg

3)
5530959184_c30c3e882d_b.jpg

4)
5530373869_f783350ec1_b.jpg

5)
5530958772_3dd9220fe5_b.jpg

6)
5530958482_caa05eb35d_b.jpg

Comments please!

Last edited:
First of all, if you honestly want proper critique on your shots, please in future select 2-3 pictures maximum. On average it takes me a good 5-10 minutes per picture to give a thorough critique, and this post would take over a hour to have a proper go at.

That being said, as they're here now, I'll have a quick go...

1) If you're shooting buildings, try and get the verticals / horizontals correct. I was once told that if it's 30deg off level its a statement, if its 3 degrees its a cock-up. I also don't like the way the spire and other roofline "erupt" out of the foreground rocks. Wishy-washy sky just seals it for me to be honest :thumbsdown: 2/10

2) much better, good DOF use, though I'm not sure that the line of boot-prints works as a strong enough line to lead through the expanse of sand. Also, the figure is a little close to edge of frame for my taste. 5/10

3) waste of a frame of film - this honestly looks like an out-take. Just because it's on film doesn't instantly make it a valid artistic statement. Sometimes it's just not. Sorry 1/10

4) again, much better, as per #2, good DOF, though the horizon could have been more level, and i'd have been tempted to put it on the upper third. Still, well exposed and some nice colours 6/10

5) strong lines lead the eye through this picture. Could have been improved by walking 5 yards further forward and putting the chap on the bench in the middle of the 3 foreground benches. Upper half is a bit busy with all the trees and the people milling around. Set up on a tripod and wait for them to disperse or at least be spread evenly along the causeway. 5/10

6) Wonky snapshot of the Scott Monument. I feel really bad about this, but to be honest, the best thing about the shot is the light that it was taken in. View of the monument is interupted by more street furniture than you can shake a stick at, and a couple of busses. As a record that you were there, 7/10, but as this is a photographic forum and we're trying to produce something above record shots i'd say 3/10

7) Much better shot of "the rocket", only spoiled by being a bit too tightly framed at the top, still not completely free of street furniture, and the 2 heads bobbing up in the bottom of the frame. Bit of judicious cropping and tweaking and it'd make a 7/10, but as it stands 6/10

8) Well - imho, DOF shots like this only work if something in frame is Pin Sharp. It might be the scan, or the size of the image posted, but I can't find anything. Still, a good idea, and a good eye to spot the potential, but for the outcome 4/10

9) Another record shot to be honest, don't like the half and half composition of library/sky, and the twigs and streetlight just poking into frame don't do the image any favours either. It's all just a little grey and murky, and as it stands doesn't work as a B&W shot. 3/10

10) Stronger leading lines, and a bit better composition in this one, though the chap in the right of frame is wasted where he is, half a second later and he'd be properly in frame. He looks potentially a visually interesting guy - a bit like a tortoise head sticking out from it's shell. Either in frame properly or not at all, I'd say. Better than #9 though and good for 5/10

11) Nice car, shame about the background. Sadly, on a street-grab shot like this, we're stuck with the curry house and tanning shed. I'd have preferred a little looser framing on the car, maybe double the distance in front of the car compared to behind it - just to give the car somewhere to drive into. As a grab shot though, it's a 6/10

12) Wonky horizons, not a lot of visual interest - looks like a council surveilance shot of the pikeys in the Transit fly-tipping. 1/10

13) Another "record" shot, notable only for the Piper managing to hang his coat on a granite slab. Next time, put some money in his bag, ask if you can move the bag to one side for 30 seconds and get a proper shot. Get in close, and shoot a proper portrait of the lad, while he's having a blow!
4/10

Overall, they're a well exposed set of images, looks like the AE-1p is working well. Sorry if the critique of these shots is a little harsh, but it really is the best way to improve - some of my shots have been torn to pieces for faults, but it only made me more determined to go out and shot something better. :shrug:

First of all, if you honestly want proper critique on your shots, please in future select 2-3 pictures maximum. On average it takes me a good 5-10 minutes per picture to give a thorough critique, and this post would take over a hour to have a proper go at. will take note of that in the future :)

That being said, as they're here now, I'll have a quick go...

1) If you're shooting buildings, try and get the verticals / horizontals correct. I was once told that if it's 30deg off level its a statement, if its 3 degrees its a cock-up. I also don't like the way the spire and other roofline "erupt" out of the foreground rocks. Wishy-washy sky just seals it for me to be honest :thumbsdown: 2/10 I was trying to get the chair the small room and the hill behind into the frame. Will bear in mind about trying to keep the verticals and horizontals correct.

2) much better, good DOF use, though I'm not sure that the line of boot-prints works as a strong enough line to lead through the expanse of sand. Also, the figure is a little close to edge of frame for my taste. 5/10 The dog was running towards me and barking aggressively, had to take a quick shot! will take note of the placement of the figure, should put it at the top 1/3 of the picture i guess?

3) waste of a frame of film - this honestly looks like an out-take. Just because it's on film doesn't instantly make it a valid artistic statement. Sometimes it's just not. Sorry 1/10 had no idea of what to take, but just enjoyed the color of the sky as it was such a good day!

4) again, much better, as per #2, good DOF, though the horizon could have been more level, and i'd have been tempted to put it on the upper third. Still, well exposed and some nice colours 6/10 all right, will take note of the leveling in my photos

5) strong lines lead the eye through this picture. Could have been improved by walking 5 yards further forward and putting the chap on the bench in the middle of the 3 foreground benches. Upper half is a bit busy with all the trees and the people milling around. Set up on a tripod and wait for them to disperse or at least be spread evenly along the causeway. 5/10 good idea, did not think of placing the person in the middle. will take note of waiting for the people to disperse or spread evenly in future shots.

6) Wonky snapshot of the Scott Monument. I feel really bad about this, but to be honest, the best thing about the shot is the light that it was taken in. View of the monument is interupted by more street furniture than you can shake a stick at, and a couple of busses. As a record that you were there, 7/10, but as this is a photographic forum and we're trying to produce something above record shots i'd say 3/10 Thanks, it was really a great day with beautiful weather. Did not have my telephoto lens back then.

7) Much better shot of "the rocket", only spoiled by being a bit too tightly framed at the top, still not completely free of street furniture, and the 2 heads bobbing up in the bottom of the frame. Bit of judicious cropping and tweaking and it'd make a 7/10, but as it stands 6/10 i forgot to used the cropped version of this.

8) Well - imho, DOF shots like this only work if something in frame is Pin Sharp. It might be the scan, or the size of the image posted, but I can't find anything. Still, a good idea, and a good eye to spot the potential, but for the outcome 4/10 My first test shot to try the camera :D just eager to try a shot first without anything in mind

9) Another record shot to be honest, don't like the half and half composition of library/sky, and the twigs and streetlight just poking into frame don't do the image any favours either. It's all just a little grey and murky, and as it stands doesn't work as a B&W shot. 3/10 Will try another shot to remove the twigs and street light. Will try to remove the sky as well

10) Stronger leading lines, and a bit better composition in this one, though the chap in the right of frame is wasted where he is, half a second later and he'd be properly in frame. He looks potentially a visually interesting guy - a bit like a tortoise head sticking out from it's shell. Either in frame properly or not at all, I'd say. Better than #9 though and good for 5/10 all right, will take note of not including the sky, the visually interesting guys is my friend. Guess I will need more patience to compose my shot!

11) Nice car, shame about the background. Sadly, on a street-grab shot like this, we're stuck with the curry house and tanning shed. I'd have preferred a little looser framing on the car, maybe double the distance in front of the car compared to behind it - just to give the car somewhere to drive into. As a grab shot though, it's a 6/10 Thanks! Did not have much time to compose the shot as it was driving past

12) Wonky horizons, not a lot of visual interest - looks like a council surveilance shot of the pikeys in the Transit fly-tipping. 1/10 So i guess I should not include the sky into the picture and have more on the path?

13) Another "record" shot, notable only for the Piper managing to hang his coat on a granite slab. Next time, put some money in his bag, ask if you can move the bag to one side for 30 seconds and get a proper shot. Get in close, and shoot a proper portrait of the lad, while he's having a blow!
4/10 will try that soon!

Overall, they're a well exposed set of images, looks like the AE-1p is working well. Sorry if the critique of these shots is a little harsh, but it really is the best way to improve - some of my shots have been torn to pieces for faults, but it only made me more determined to go out and shot something better. :shrug:

Thank you for the comments!

Number 10 is really good. I like that a great deal!!

I shouldn't with the subject and that dudes head over there on the right, but I love the angles of the lines coming in from the right. The steps, the building, the windows and the path.

It's good. Bravo.

Number 10 is really good. I like that a great deal!!

I shouldn't with the subject and that dudes head over there on the right, but I love the angles of the lines coming in from the right. The steps, the building, the windows and the path.

It's good. Bravo.

Thanks! a pity my friend just stepped in while I was taking the picture.

No's 2 and 8 for me.
No2 I like the way the focus on the foreground footprints lead in to the OOF man and dog. A contrast to no4 where there's nothing to 'finish' the image.
No8 Bit harder to say but again, more likely the focussed framing by the foreground of the OOF background. Bit more tonal range in this one than some of the others, too. Notably 9, which, (barring the sky) looks quite flat. Something I think could be got away with had it been obviously raining.
The rest of the B+W's, mainly the awful skies. Out of any of our control, I know! It's spoiled many a potentially good shot for me, too. Even a red or grad filter can't rescue some bloody skies lol. :(
I'm sorry, I really don't get 3? I keep biting my tongue to stop from saying it's just awful. Worth keeping for the sky colour, though, maybe to use as part of a better shot with a crapper sky?
In the wet darkroom days, a lot of us had a file of negs of just skies for this use. I can't imagine the concept can't carry across. In fact, You've got me thinking, now :)
The rest are well focussed and exposed, which is by no way a mean feat with film cameras but lacking in attention, bite, chutzpah; Lots going on but nothing to 'grab', if you see what I mean?
Just my two-penneth :)
Oh and the more I look, the more I really like No2 :)

...In the wet darkroom days, a lot of us had a file of negs of just skies for this use. I can't imagine the concept can't carry across. In fact, You've got me thinking, now :)

it's even easier and more effective with the dijikal/hybrid processes - and I have to admit I've got a "sky bank" on the HD. Anything that'd got a good/interesting sky gets a copy of the shot dropped into the folder, ready to cheat if needed. Don't normally do it with film, primarily as when working with film, I try and limit myself to using only the techniques in CS5 that I was capable of doing in a wet darkroom. Okay - it's probably an affectation - but it sort of "feels right" - if I was doing wholesale cut/paste/clone then I may as well have shot on dijikal in the first place.

Pretty much with you on that one. Nothing I could do in a darkroom, but now do in PP, do I consider 'cheating' ;)
And I was so much worse at it in a darkroom than I am in PP lol.
(I just think I was better :p)

Carter64 said:
No's 2 and 8 for me.
No2 I like the way the focus on the foreground footprints lead in to the OOF man and dog. A contrast to no4 where there's nothing to 'finish' the image.
No8 Bit harder to say but again, more likely the focussed framing by the foreground of the OOF background. Bit more tonal range in this one than some of the others, too. Notably 9, which, (barring the sky) looks quite flat. Something I think could be got away with had it been obviously raining.
The rest of the B+W's, mainly the awful skies. Out of any of our control, I know! It's spoiled many a potentially good shot for me, too. Even a red or grad filter can't rescue some bloody skies lol. :(
I'm sorry, I really don't get 3? I keep biting my tongue to stop from saying it's just awful. Worth keeping for the sky colour, though, maybe to use as part of a better shot with a crapper sky?
In the wet darkroom days, a lot of us had a file of negs of just skies for this use. I can't imagine the concept can't carry across. In fact, You've got me thinking, now :)
The rest are well focussed and exposed, which is by no way a mean feat with film cameras but lacking in attention, bite, chutzpah; Lots going on but nothing to 'grab', if you see what I mean?
Just my two-penneth :)
Oh and the more I look, the more I really like No2 :)

Thanks! That was my first roll of film for my new toy for the b+w. Wasn't really a wise choice as I have not tried b+w before. But I did learn some tips from the comments by others :) I wanted to frame no 3 as the monument at the bottom 1/3. Guess it was a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

I know that digital manipulation is frowned upon in the film world and rightly so, but for the sake of demonstration of how I think the second image could have been framed in the camera I have took the liberty of representing it.
As for the rest of the images I pretty much agree with mark
I still take pictures of skies and have done so since my early film days in the sixties, overlaying, reversing, enlarging and reducing them to suit a new image, a lot of it done on a hit and miss basis in the dark room, but in digital who knows what’s real?

man-and-dog.jpg
[/IMG]

Alas i gave mine away, because I just can't focus manually. My eyes are not great.

forgive me if I have missed it, but where and what is #7? thanks!

really like the second :) but the last five dont do anything for me at all, too grainy and they just look like snapshots, sorry

Back