AF in live view

Edit My Images
No
I do not used live view in the field on my 7D as I would need to get out my reading glasses :LOL: but I was reading on another forum that the AF in live view (with tripod) is more accurate than normal AF - is this true?

Technically yes, but at the cost of speed. In practice you will ever notice the difference if the main AF sensor of lens calibration is off. LV uses the sensor which sees the actual image, unlike with phase detect AF.

I think it's be more correct to say that the contrast-detection AF used in Live View can be more accurate than the phase-difference AF normally used. One good way to check if your MFA is correct is to connect the camera to the PC and use EOS Utility to do AF using the normal (contrast) and quick (phase diff) AF and see if there's any difference at 200%.

Last edited:
I do not used live view in the field on my 7D as I would need to get out my reading glasses :LOL: but I was reading on another forum that the AF in live view (with tripod) is more accurate than normal AF - is this true?

Not sure about more accurate? You can always zoom in to check the accuracy but you will still need the glasses :D

Back