AF in low light - recommendations

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm using my Nikon D500 in little to no light more often to capture moving people with the help of flash (SB-700). I'm finding that when in AF-C, with single point AF -it is not very good at all at achieving focus. I've been aiming for the subjects eye / face sometimes moving the AF spot. Sometimes the AF just seems to give up and gets it completely wrong resulting in a lot of out of focus photos. I'm using BBF. It can be frustrating when you want a shot but can't get it because AF just didn't work. I've found better results switching to AF-S which enables the AF assist light (red light) on the flash gun, but it's really only suitable for static people, and not moving people.

Is there anyway to activate the AF assist light in AF-C mode? Should I be using my primes for better AF compared to using my 16-80mm which is f4 at the long end.

I seem to get better results using AF auto but not always the correct subject is chosen. I'm thinking eye AF would be handy on Nikon :). Any suggestions gratefully received.

Back