AF/M switches

Edit My Images
Yes
I've finally taken the plunge and bought a D70s an 18-55VR. Both the camera body and the lens have auto/manual switches for focus. If I want to focus manually do they both need to be in M? What happens if only one of them is?

I know I could try it and see, but I am nervous about causing damage to one or both.

Jacob's answer is correct for that lens but not for all lenses. So it's time for a quick primer in Nikon AF systems.

Nikon's first-generation AF system used a motor in the camera body to do the work. There's a mechanical coupling in the lens mount with a little blade which engages with the lens and rotates to focus the lens. Its relatively noisy and relatively slow. Lenses which use this technology have "AF" somewhere in their names. Entry-level Nikon DSLRs don't have the capability to drive AF lenses, but your D70s does.

AF lenses don't have AF/MF switches on them, so the switch on the camera determines whether focussing is automatic or manual.

Nikon's second-generation AF system uses motors in the lenses to do the work. The coupling is electronic; the camera tells the lens what to do and the lens does it. It's silent and fast. Lenses which use this technology have "AF-S" somewhere in their names.

AF-S lenses have AF/MF switches on them. In order to use AF you have to have both the switch on the lens AND the switch on the body set to AF. If either is set to MF then the lens will not AF.

and to add to stewarts post, there are some lenses in the older Nikon line such as the 300/4 AF and 180/2.8 AF which require that you move BOTH switches to M to manual focus. I have the 300/4. If you move only the camera switch, the camera is off, but the lens focus ring stays coupled to the drive system. If you only flip the lens switch, the camera will still try to AF but the lens is not coupled.

Additionally, if you have the more expensive af-s lenses, you do not need to flip the switch to M at all. Simply turn the focus ring to fine tune your focus. the 18-55 doesn't allow you to, but most other AF-s lenses do.

thanks
rick

Back