AF/MF Switch Fell Off My 35L!

Edit My Images
Yes
I took my Canon 35mm f1.4L out of my camera bag just now and noticed the AF/MF switch was hanging out! It would seem that one of the little clips which holds it in place has broken. The switch still works (the ribbon cable was still intact) and the lens works/AFs fine, so I have temporarily taped it in place.

The lens hasn't been dropped or knocked, and it was perfectly fine when I used it yesterday evening, so I am a bit puzzled/concerned as it was just in my bag (ThinkTank backpack in a 'section'). Has anybody else experienced such a thing? And any ideas for repair costs or places? The lens was purchased second hand and has no warranty, I guess Canon would charge? I am a member of CPS (gold membership). Any advice appreciated.

35L.jpg

If it is a simple push fit clip fixing, and the ribbon cable just push fits I would have thought you could change it yourself.

If so I would ring Canon service, explain what has broken and see if they will send you a replacement switch unit.

The part # is CY1-2793-000 and should be around £20. It's possible to remove the ribbon cable at the switch end and avoid going into the lens body.

Bob

Edit $29-50 from here

Last edited:
As it's out of warranty and still working perfectly I would just glue it back onto the body. All my gear is insured, but I'd still fix it myself first and if I could get away without changing a ribbon cable I would. I glued a piece onto a laptop and it outlasted the rest of the laptop with no problems.

I'd send it to canon for a service and repair as you never know where that bit of plastic that has fallen off has landed up inside the body.

As it's out of warranty and still working perfectly I would just glue it back onto the body. All my gear is insured, but I'd still fix it myself first and if I could get away without changing a ribbon cable I would. I glued a piece onto a laptop and it outlasted the rest of the laptop with no problems.

May make it harder to sell when the time comes as people would be concerned about it.

I'd just use a tiny bit of superglue at each end and push it back on. If you're not ham-fisted about it you'd never know it was glued on.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try seeing how much a proper repair would be, and failing that I'll try a bit of glue. I used the lens today (with the switch taped on) and it seemed to perform perfectly normally.

Back