Beginner AF not working

Name
christian gardner
Edit My Images
Yes
hi here's the first question, I bought a second hand canon 400D and starting to learn how to use it. Firstly AF seems to have stopped working so is there a way of finding if it's the camra or lens, also when it's on one of the pre set modes it won't take a pic some times on AF setting but takes one on MF mode, I'm hoping it's not the camra as on a low budget I wanted to get use to taking pics before upgrading to a better camra
Aunty thoughts would be great

quick couple of things check lens and make sure its not gone to manual focus and next do a reset on it to make sure there are no custom settings on it

Check that the lens is set to AF through its full range ie 0 to infinity.

Hi Christian

Check you've not moved the switch on the lens to MF initially...and obviously make sure you are not too close to an object so the camera can focus.

Can you / have you tried another lens to rule that out as well ?

Then do a factory reset on the camera to remove all previous settings that may have been played with - although I don't think if your talking about the pre set modes like sports, landscape etc you can adjust what the camera does to these - worth a reset anyway.

Thank you every one I've done a reset on custom and camra setting
Switched it to auto and AF on and will not take pic on screen it says 1/40 F5.0, and in eye it's coming up with the same but a 9 next to a flashing green light ?? Any Ideas ......if I switch to MF it takes a pic

Is the lens attached properly? all the way round till it clicks? Also check and clean the lens contacts (use an eraser)

Flashing green light is for focus lock, make sure you are outwith the minimum focus distance of the lens.if you are it could be a faulty lens, if its the kit lens then they are prone to ribbon cable failure.

Cleaned contacts n still the same maybe the AF switch has packed up, may try n run it in to camra shop n see if they will give it a once over freebie

Dizidav it's a canon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 lll if that's stock lens so I bet its stock

Dizidav it's a canon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 lll if that's stock lens so I bet its stock
Thats the Kit Lens, they do sometimes have a problem with the ribbon cable in the lens breaking, will still be useable if you switch to manual, and use manual focus,

Cleaned contacts n still the same maybe the AF switch has packed up, may try n run it in to camra shop n see if they will give it a once over freebie

Taking it to a shop is a good idea, you will be able to try a different lens and work out if lens or the camera body.

Have you tried trying focus at different distances (close up, mid range, distant) in good light (outdoors) as with my Canon 550D if the lens can't focus at all, usually when I'm trying to get too close to a butterfly or whatever without a macro lens, it freezes the shutter. There is an indication in the viewfinder but I can't remember what it is.

Have you tried trying focus at different distances (close up, mid range, distant) in good light (outdoors) as with my Canon 550D if the lens can't focus at all, usually when I'm trying to get too close to a butterfly or whatever without a macro lens, it freezes the shutter. There is an indication in the viewfinder but I can't remember what it is.
Ill have a muck about later

Where are you ?
You're welcome to come have a go with my lenses , to see if it's your camera or lens that's failing

Yorkshire

Did the OP manage to resolve the problem.

If the camera's set in its menus to asign 'back button' focus , that may have disabled the focus being activated by a half-press on the shutter release - got an instruction book? If not, google ...

Back