AF-S Nikon 70-200 f2.8G ED VR2 - Focus

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had to adjust the Af-Fine Tune all the way to -20 on my D7000 and I'm not just 100% sure that this if hitting the spot for me. Here is a test shot with the focus being on the golf ball. It's shot at f2.8, 200mm ISO 400, 1/300, Spot, Matrix, AF-C. What do you think ? Should the grass be so much in focus ? Here is the link to the photo....... http://flic.kr/p/ckDvA1

Last edited:
Moving the AF fine tune -ve moves the focus point away from the camera. It looks to me that you have moved the focus point too far and you need to move it back towards the camera. When its in the right place 1/3rd of the visible DoF should be in front of the target and 2/3rds behind it.

try using AF-S Instead of AF-C as it is probably searching for a focus point, also reset the adjustment back to zero ad take shots at 0,5, 10, 15 and 20 and see which is sharpest

Thank you gman, No I haven't used the chart yet but I will. I Didn't use 3d tracking but used spot focus.

Thank's Steve2, At default 0 the subject is not in focus at all, It back focuses. The lettering on the ball improves in sharpness all the way down to -20.

P.S. Maidstone is a lovely place, I've a sister living near you in Frittington.

Last edited:
Thanks ah5168, With each step back from -20 I lose sharpness of the lettering on the ball. Guess I need to use the focus chart tomorrow and get a more accurate result

Mind to photograph the chart at a 45 degree angle, it's not perfect but is a start and should hopefully give you a fair idea of how much it's out by. I bought a brand new Nikon 50mm 1.8G lens a few weeks ago and I had to adjust it +4 straight away.

I guess the tolerances are so tight these days, although the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and the Nikon 80-200 2.8 are spot on so I put it down to the 50mm being a cheaper lens, which makes your case even more surprising.

Oh dear, that really is bad. Any chance you can stick your ISO at 100? I think the chart will really help show what's going on. Looks like your dof is 11cm so missing focus probably isn't the cause I'd guess.

It doesn't look good. I've generally found that AF 'fine' tuning is just that in that an object will generally appear roughly in focus no matter what adjustment is dialled in. The fine tuning simply moves it about within a small range to get it perfect. This looks to be quite a long way out.

Does this happen with any other lenses?

As Gary says above, if it's from a shop then take it back. If it's a used one then all is not lost.

I bought a Mk1 one secondhand a while back and it was doing exactly what yours is doing. I took it to Fixation for a service and it came back in perfect order. Cost about £100 IIRC.

Try using live view. Live view uses contrast detection focusing ie it actually focuses back and forth to get the sharpest image. That will give you the best focused sharpest image of the golf ball. You can then see what the optimal focus should look like and what the lens is capable of.

Thank You everyone....much of this.....No... Sorry, all of this is down to my inexperience. Thanks for all your advice. To cut a long story short my lens is fine tuned to -6 and all is well.....Both lens and camera are new so I might still leave them in for calibration. I want the camera though for a trip to Liverpool in a couple of weeks time, so I'll hold off untill then.....P.S. Is -6 acceptable for a new camera/lens ? Thank's again.

Moving the AF fine tune -ve moves the focus point away from the camera.

Calmpic, I can't see the photos so I cannot tell where your focus point is, but I'm pretty sure that ah5168 is wrong in the above. A negative adjustment brings the focus point closer to the camera.

I have successfully adjusted several lenses on each of two cameras, and this is what I have found.

-6 is mild. My long Nikon zooms are around -12 and -14. Who cares as long as the adjustment works. Glad you've got it sorted anyway.

Here is an image Xjacktar of the -6 adjustment. (Focus is on large stone center top of wall) Yes using minus did move the focus closer to the camera as in previous -5 -4 -3 shots the sensor was focusing on the stone behind.
http://flic.kr/p/cmWrK7

Well it now looks as sharp as a sharp thing that's just been sharpened. Glad you got it sorted.

Back