Affinity Black and White conversions

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
The topic of conversions keeps coming up lately in various threads.

I find Affinity does all I want, quite often by just inverting the layer and making some minor adjustments, but there is also a more comprehensive method (with added benefits for some colour work) that gives me all the control I need.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAq-XR-gf9g

Last edited:
quite often by just reversing the layer
What on earth does that mean?
there is also a more comprehensive method (with added benefits for some colour work) that gives me all the control I need.
So - just tell us about it! I don't want to sit through what might be a 15 minute video punctuated by ads for grammarly and other s*** like how to heat your home all winter for 10p. Cut to the chase.

This programme is very versatile.
Any other information?

;-) !

What on earth does that mean?

So - just tell us about it! I don't want to sit through what might be a 15 minute video punctuated by ads for grammarly and other s*** like how to heat your home all winter for 10p. Cut to the chase.

Any other information?

;-) !

Watch the video, it is their own channel and I have commented before how they only give facts with no padding, and if that is too much for you, then just leave it as I doubt you would be able to use it.

The programme is very versatile, and that is a valid comment by itself, if you want a versatile programme, you can research if it does what you need, or ask specific questions!

That is a dedicated video with no adverts - just watch it and maybe you'll learn something.

Versatile: Look here.

I think affinity is a great tool I have it alongside the Adobe software and use it for my stacking. I am still learning about post processing so have only just scratched the surface of Affinity, and haven't really used Photoshop at all. I do sometimes feel like I need a night class to learn it all lol

Surely that just turns the image into a negative.
Look, when you take a photograph in Auto mode, your camera will look at the scene in black and white tones, selecting a tone that is 18% grey, (good exposure). It will then record the image in colour.

Affinity uses this principle in this video. It changes the colour to black and white, (inverts). Also by using the blend modes, you can alter the intensity of the colours by altering the sliders of the greyscale that make up the colours. (versatile).

Now if that is too much for you, I suggest you take up knitting.

Surely that just turns the image into a negative.
Yes it does, but adjusting contrast and brightness when it is negative takes away the brains interpretation and allows easier adjustment of range and brightness and often results in a pleasing picture when inverted again.

I was shown this a few years ago and secretly laughed at the idea, but later tried it when I couldn't get a photo looking right, and it worked for me

Yes it does, but adjusting contrast and brightness when it is negative takes away the brains interpretation and allows easier adjustment of range and brightness and often results in a pleasing picture when inverted again.

I was shown this a few years ago and secretly laughed at the idea, but later tried it when I couldn't get a photo looking right, and it worked for me
I had realised that the colours slider could affect a mono image but I hadn't realised just how versatile the software was!

I had realised that the colours slider could affect a mono image but I hadn't realised just how versatile the software was!
Yes, using the same sliders you can do this (a topic from the other day) in a couple of seconds

ps.jpg

And a bit longer for this

ars.jpg

This method should work in photoshop as well. Ajustment layers work more or less the same if I remember rightly.

I often use Fastone to auto adjust the colours on a black and white image. It's counter intuitive perhaps, but it will often make a difference. After all blacks and greys are colours too. Not sure if this is relevant, or not.

I often use Fastone to auto adjust the colours on a black and white image. It's counter intuitive perhaps, but it will often make a difference. After all blacks and greys are colours too. Not sure if this is relevant, or not.
Yes it is, as by doing that you will have a complete range from white to black, with the both the black and white not out of range, and everything else scaled between them.
Often a good starting point for further adjustments.

Back