Affinity photo masking advice please

Edit My Images
Yes
1698776427888.jpeg
hi is there a way that’s not too difficult or complicated to select / mask the Lion so that I can edit blur or replace the fence in the background in this picture using Affinity Photo ?

its one of the Asiatic Lions from Chester zoo , its a very difficult enclosure there isn’t much background vegetation so it’s difficult to frame him without the fence being in the background and would not normally even try to take a shot like that but want to try to do something as he’s a special animal, a stunning mature male

I have Affinity photo 2 and DXO photolab 5 , I’m happy to purchase software to do this if it exists but don’t really want to do a monthly subscription to something like photoshop as I don’t very often need to do this

I suspect it’s not easy to effectively select/mask around something like animal fur but I’m hopeful that someone has developed an app or software to do this

I’m not very proficient with complex editing and layers to be honest, I normally just convert the Raw image in DXO with one of their presets and crop and maybe a bit of cloning in Affinity and convert to a jpeg so I’m hope there’s a simple way of doing it

Last edited:
Video tutorial may help ... it's a couple of years old so there may be a more recent one if you search. :)

Mask the fence. Add a blur filter such as Depth of Field, Gaussian Blur, etc. (I should have spend another 5 minutes on this one but editing a small jpg isn't ideal. You get the idea.) Export as desired.
1698776427888-DoFedit.jpg

Back