After a bit of help

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
After playing around with some camera settings I've managed to get some macro shots that I think are reasonable for my level of experience. Any c+c is most welcome.

Canon EF 100mm macro on a Canon 600D and all handheld. A bit of NR, sharpening and resized for upload.

Lindas flower by The Actor 08, on Flickr
f8, iso 160, shutter 1/160, ev -1.3

Fly by The Actor 08, on Flickr
f6.3, iso 100, shutter 1/200, ev -1.3

Fushia by The Actor 08, on Flickr
f4.5, iso 100, shutter 1/1250, ev 0

Last edited:
You're hitting the classic macro difficulty of needing a smaller aperture for more depth of field whilst at the same time needing to keep a decent shutter speed! Only way to do it really is to use a flash (ideally with some sort of diffuser to keep the light soft) - try and aim for something like f11-f16, and 1/200ish :)

Not a bad set but it looks to me like the first two pictures you haven't quite got the focus right, to be honest i can't tell where the focus is on the first one, all the colours seem to blend together, possibly not the best subject matter / lighting?

The fly one looks to me like you just missed focusing on its eye and got its leg. Possibly because you were using the camera hand held? I always use a monopod or even tripod when shooting macro the very least something solid to keep the camera still.

The last one is the best of the group for me, it seems reasonably sharp nice colours etc :).

This macro stuff is hard to get right and i am in a similar situation to you, i.e. still a lot to learn so don't take my comments too seriously, i am sure someone will be along to offer some expert advice, keep the pics coming :D.

Last edited:
Thanx all. All points duly noted. Looks like I'll need to lug about a monopod and flash with diffuser at least. :)

Back