After a Canon 60d

Edit My Images
No
Hi there, ShadyMarkus from the midlands here. Thought I best introduce myself seeing as this is my first post :)

Basically I'm after a Canon 60d. I was pointed at these forums as a potential source for buying second hand kit but due to the 60 members market rules it seems that's a non starter. Therefore I'm instead looking to get one from the likes of Panamoz because lets face it, if I'm prepared to buy second hand with no warrenty then a new camera for the same price and a shady warranty isn't too bad of an option.

So, my dilema. I've read that these may be being discontinued in the near future to make way for a 70d. Now this will be my first DSLR so not specifically after curring edge tech. However, if the prices are likely to drop in the next couple of months then I can certainly hang on for a little while. Ideally want it by November as the wife and I are going away for a couple of weeks but obviously the sooner i get it the soner I can play :) I have been dabbling with a 40d and 50mm lens (something I'm after i.e. f1.8 50mm) and have used SLR's in the past so not a complete virgin :)

Anyway, back to the point at hand instead of my life story.........should I buy now from Panamoz (£543), keep looking for 2nd hand jobbies, or wait until it's discontinued in the hope of picking up a bargain......all depends on timing so just after a steer from the professionals......and yes....that's you :D

Thanks in advance!

as soon as the 70D is out there'll be rumours about the 80D being around the corner :)

get a camera and go and take photos - if the price drops it drops, you've still got the camera and you'll have the extra week/month/3 months photos

mmm, £543 for brand new from Panamoz or £669 used from a shop - tough decision :)

I don't actually understand how mpb have the nerve to charge £100 more than they can be bought new in the UK. Even not using Panamoz I could buy a brand new 60D with 3 year warranty for £569.
Still, if people pay £669 then good for mpb I suppose...

I'd either go to panamoz or look for a 2nd hand grey import. However 2nd hand they are probably few and far between - only options are probably here (which you can't access yet) and avforums, and I don't think they come up that often.

Used grey imports seem to go for around £400-£450 so you'd probably not save too much and might have to wait a while.

I'd suggest using panamoz

However 2nd hand they are probably few and far between

Unless you look at eBay where many sell every single day.

However, they tend to go for close to the price you can get one new and never understood why people pay 95% of the price of a new item (especially when the new item is also on eBay so they can't miss it!)

Been looking at things on eBay, I bought a D3100 privately (2 clicks, genuine!) with a bag, 4gb card and Hoya Pro Digital CIR-PL for £300. On eBay I have seen the D3100 and kit lens go for more than Jessops are selling it for.

mmm, £543 for brand new from Panamoz or £669 used from a shop - tough decision :)

I don't actually understand how mpb have the nerve to charge £100 more than they can be bought new in the UK. Even not using Panamoz I could buy a brand new 60D with 3 year warranty for £569.
Still, if people pay £669 then good for mpb I suppose...
a uk supplier has to charge you 20% vat on top of the price
technically if you import a camera you are supposed to declare the goods to hm customs and pay the vat not the seller based off shore

a uk supplier has to charge you 20% vat on top of the price

Yes I know, however the price at mpb is for a used camera in the UK. Even paying the 20% the imported new camera is cheaper.
But as I said, if people are happy to pay that, good for mpb.

Hey thanks for all the replies thus far. Really excited about getting my first DSLR so greatful for your input. I think it does make more sense ofr me to buy new though even if it is Grey as a 2nd hand camera isn't likely to have much if any warranty on it anyway.

I've been reading about panamoz and they seem pretty decent. Has anyone ever had to send something back to them? What were they like? Heard they only respond to e-mails but what is their service like? Have they fixed your camera in the past? How long did it take?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Been doing a lot of reading on here the last few days and liking this place a lot :)

the returns policy and warranty is clearly explained in their terms and conditions
have a read and see if you have any queries

the returns policy and warranty is clearly explained in their terms and conditions
have a read and see if you have any queries

Yeah cheers for this. What I'm basically asking for though is do any of you on here have any experience of this i.e. a camera breaking.....them taking it back via their RMA process, and it being fixed inside of 4 weeks? Just because their T&C's say what they aim to do doesn't necessarily mean they will do it.

It's not too much of an issue though. Most reviews I've read are positive but was curious to see if anyone had tried returning something is all.

Anyhow, just sent a couple of messages to other 2nd hand owners I've found on another site but if they don't amount to anything I think I'll be hitting the order button :)

Try posting in the panamoz thread in the photo shopping section of the forum.

You might get more luck there with people providing their experiences

Panamoz are great, I've used them about half a dozen times so far and got excellent service every time. They pay all the duty that is owed so the price you see + £10 postage is what you pay. I got my 60D and the wifes 650D from them and I've been really pleased with them. You can also email them about paying by bank transfer and you get a 5% discount off the total. At current price you'd get it delivered for £522.50.

However, if you take a look at Hdew cameras, another place I've bought from and they are in the UK, you can get a new 60D for £559 http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-60d-camera-body-554-p.asp and you get a 3 year warranty that will be supported by a Canon authorized service centre.

However, if you take a look at Hdew cameras, another place I've bought from and they are in the UK, you can get a new 60D for £559 http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-60d-camera-body-554-p.asp and you get a 3 year warranty that will be supported by a Canon authorized service centre.

Ooooow now that is interesting. 3 year warranty for £20 more (do all online shopping via CC for security so wouldn't save the 5% @ Panamoz). I think you may have just found me a winner :)

Last edited:
Back