After a few failed attempts...

All look good to me

what is the first photo? Assume shooting stars, but no star trails. Are you using a barn door thingy?

be good to see your settings etc. Your area has so little light pollution

Excellent. (IMHO)

Mj

Mark, the first photo is taken near to where I live, it's f2.8 with a 30sec exposure but as it was taking i zoomed in to create the effect :) the second two are taken in the Lake District!
Thanks for your comment

I think you have the skills with the camera and just need to bring out the exposures and stars in post now. Have you done much processing to them?

I think you have the skills with the camera and just need to bring out the exposures and stars in post now. Have you done much processing to them?

Thanks very much! I have done some PP to them however what would you suggest to bring out the stars more? They are all single exposures rather than stacking would that make a difference?

Thanks very much! I have done some PP to them however what would you suggest to bring out the stars more? They are all single exposures rather than stacking would that make a difference?
I'm not sure re the stacking tbh but probs not unless doing detail with big telephoto stuff?

Depending on your software there are a number of ways. Clarity helps a LOT with the stars themselves but it also boosts noise so you need to watch for that. There are a number of you tube videos on different methods but I have found it well worth the time investment to watch a couple and see what works for you. It can make a huge difference. When you progress to shots of the Milky Way then you'll really get excited by the opportunities, even with one exposure.

It also really helps to have a good foreground and then you'll need to probably expose separately for that and blend the two in PS or whatever you use.... It really is great fun and amazing what you can get once you get into it! Careful now or you'll start getting really hooked!!!!

Depending on your software there are a number of ways. Clarity helps a LOT with the stars themselves but it also boosts noise so you need to watch for that. There are a number of you tube videos on different methods but I have found it well worth the time investment to watch a couple and see what works for you. It can make a huge difference. When you progress to shots of the Milky Way then you'll really get excited by the opportunities, even with one exposure.

It also really helps to have a good foreground and then you'll need to probably expose separately for that and blend the two in PS or whatever you use.... It really is great fun and amazing what you can get once you get into it! Careful now or you'll start getting really hooked!!!!

I'll have a look on YouTube and see what I can find, thanks! I'd love to get a shot with the milky way in its just finding somewhere with little light pollution without travelling to somewhere like scotland or the lakes and I think getting a wider angle will help me with the foreground and eventually the milky way too!

I'll have a look on YouTube and see what I can find, thanks! I'd love to get a shot with the milky way in its just finding somewhere with little light pollution without travelling to somewhere like scotland or the lakes and I think getting a wider angle will help me with the foreground and eventually the milky way too!
Yeah I've just purchased a Samyang 14mm f2.8 for that very purpose! Its not the best but it is quite cheap (relatively), fast and had good reviews based on its price and I have to say, on first couple of uses in anger, it seems the reviews are spot on!

You don't NEED zero light pollution but it helps if you can find an area with little obviously. Not sure where you're based but I'm sure theres places not too far away for you to try it out on. From about weds night/thurs morn through to next week the MW is at its best appearing around 1:30am with the moon below the horizon and not spoiling it. If you get a chance, have a go, then you'll be hooked!!!

I've looked at the Samyang and it does get good reviews but i want something I can use for normal landscapes, do you think it would be suitable for that or would something with a zoom range be better or a more expensive lens? I will bear the MW in mind if I can get myself out of bed haha im never sure when is best to look for it tbh

I've looked at the Samyang and it does get good reviews but i want something I can use for normal landscapes, do you think it would be suitable for that or would something with a zoom range be better or a more expensive lens? I will bear the MW in mind if I can get myself out of bed haha im never sure when is best to look for it tbh
I use other lenses for landscape tbh, the distortion on the Samyang is weird and the drop off in sharpness towards the edges is a bit alarming, this doesn't matter too much at night but during the day is more of an issue. I have a 17mm Tilt & Shift that works well for landscapes however and finding myself using that a lot. A 16-35mm f2.8 would do the trick for both I would think - pricey for mark ii versions but mark i 2nd hand should be easier to afford and a cracking lens? If you shoot Canon that is - not sure about Nikon lenses.

The MW is up all night but the galactic centre is the cool bit and sits fairly low down on the horizon this far north.

I use other lenses for landscape tbh, the distortion on the Samyang is weird and the drop off in sharpness towards the edges is a bit alarming, this doesn't matter too much at night but during the day is more of an issue. I have a 17mm Tilt & Shift that works well for landscapes however and finding myself using that a lot. A 16-35mm f2.8 would do the trick for both I would think - pricey for mark ii versions but mark i 2nd hand should be easier to afford and a cracking lens? If you shoot Canon that is - not sure about Nikon lenses.

The MW is up all night but the galactic centre is the cool bit and sits fairly low down on the horizon this far north.

I shoot nikon and saw the 16-35 however it's f4 the only other one would be 14-28 I think which is 2.8 or an older lens.

I'm in Derbyshire so I will have to do some research into where it will sit in the sky and at what times :)

I shoot nikon and saw the 16-35 however it's f4 the only other one would be 14-28 I think which is 2.8 or an older lens.

I'm in Derbyshire so I will have to do some research into where it will sit in the sky and at what times :)
A 14-28 would be better for night shooting cos of the 2.8 as you say. The centre of MW is kinda South South East on a compass. Must be loadsa places in Derbyshire. Haven't you got the peaks???

A 14-28 would be better for night shooting cos of the 2.8 as you say. The centre of MW is kinda South South East on a compass. Must be loadsa places in Derbyshire. Haven't you got the peaks???
I might have a look into 3rd party brands to see if anything might be up to the same spec! Yea we have the Peak District in derbyshire, I might try a camp out one night somewhere in the moors and see what I can see!

Back