after a year with my 500D. I'm considering going on and up!

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all..

Figured I'd ask for some help.

I've just completed my first year with my 500D. I've fully established what I want from my DSLR, which is better video options, faster fps and better low ISO handling.

As far as glass goes, I'm going for fun stuff! I'm thinking of the 15-85 for a daily and then everything and anything inbetween.. I would like some Canon Lust though :)

Any suggestions?

any budget in mind?

Lower cost option would be 60D and 7D

otherwise you can go to Full Frame.

I'm not really fussed on going full frame. I'd say for the body, i'd like to spend around £600. Alongside trading in my 500D.

7D does appeal to me, as does the 60D. They have the same sensor don't they? Like I said, video is what I'm aiming for. And all the fps glory!

In term of video, both 60D and 7D is capable. Perform better then Nikon to behonest.

60D have something around 5-6 FPS where as the 7D have 8FPS.

With your budget i say go for 60D or a stretch abit more and get a used 7D

I'm being a bit more realistic with my budget now. 60D seems like a good choice. People have been suggesting a 550D, but I want something a bit more visually upgraded..

I'm being a bit more realistic with my budget now. 60D seems like a good choice. People have been suggesting a 550D, but I want something a bit more visually upgraded..

Hi Alex

A friend of mine went through this last year, he had the 450D and was wanting more FPS. He had a look at various models and opted for the 60D - he loves it, the video function is a bonus for him and he is surprised how much of a benefit the tilt / swivel LCD screen is, even when reviewing photos ! It's a slightly larger body, which he much prefers - it's more comfortable to use.

Would def recommend having a look / play with the 60D (y)

Think the OP was after a higher FPS

is the 600D not the same as the 500D ?

Last edited:
andyred said:
Think the OP was after a higher FPS

is the 600D not the same as the 500D ?

Thought he meant video fps (500D can do only 20fps at HD whereas the 600D can do the full 25fps PAL and 30FPS NTSC)

Photo FPS difference is small. 3.7 rather than 3.4

I'm after faster photo fps. Cano 500D's have pretty much terrible video qualities. Only exposure is adjustable.

Then it has to be the 60D or 7D

As for options for video try installing Magic Lantern firmware on the 500D, you will be surprised on what you will be able to do!

Last edited:
This might help from a technical viewpoint:

5630405857_65f1ba3b1f_b.jpg

This might help from a technical viewpoint:

5630405857_65f1ba3b1f_b.jpg

That is brilliant..

One thing I don't get though.. 500D and 50D have the same sensor, yet somehow the 50D can do 6.3fps?

Then it has to be the 60D or 7D

As for options for video try installing Magic Lantern firmware on the 500D, you will be surprised on what you will be able to do!

Have considered it. Not only is it not a decent release, it doesn't really give me that much as far as performance is concerned. It just gives me tweaks on existing stuff. Kinda disappointing really as I was quite intrigued by it when I first heard of it!

That is brilliant..

One thing I don't get though.. 500D and 50D have the same sensor, yet somehow the 50D can do 6.3fps?
The 550D/600D/60D/7D all have the same sensor too ;)

Installed Magic Lantern about an hour ago! Absolutely blown away by it, seriously!

The video mode has just blown open now, I've got pretty much a whole new camera! Some very nifty photographic features aswell! I probably won't upgrade my body for a while, looks like it's glass time for me! :D

farrance said:
That is brilliant..

Have considered it. Not only is it not a decent release, it doesn't really give me that much as far as performance is concerned. It just gives me tweaks on existing stuff. Kinda disappointing really as I was quite intrigued by it when I first heard of it!

The Sensor has nothing to do with FPS.

I recently upgraded from a 450D to a 60D with pretty much the same set of requirements as yourself. I've been very pleased with it so far, though haven't used the video function in anger yet.

The higher ISO ability it what i've really noticed so far, obivously it can get quite noisy higher up the range but the shots are still perfectly useable, and much better than no shots at all!

Back