After some help from Nikon users

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping some kind Nikon owners can offer some help....

I've been asked by a girl at work which camera I would recommend between the Nikon D90, D3200, and D3100.

I have no idea on Nikons, I shoot Canon, so can anyone offer any advice / guidance. Shes new to slr photography, but wants to learn (ie not shooting in Auto), and wants to know if the extra cost of the D90 is worth it.

TYIA

My money, by a country mile, would be the D90.

By analogy, in the circumstances would you recommend a 600D or a 50D?

Personally I see no value in the D3200 as the D3100 is as good a camera but costs much less.

I'd say go with a second hand D90.
If she stays with photography as a hobby it'll serve her well.
If she decides it's not for her, she won't lose too much money when she resells.

I'd say a second hand D90.

It has the better body and handy buttons at your finger tips however the D90's let down is the 12.3mp sensor which is showing it's age nowadays.

You can learn and improve technique with the D90 and won't grow out of it as quick as the D3100/3200.

IMO, 12.3MP is plenty! I get good A3+ prints from a 6.1MP D70. My current camera line up does have more but to a large extent, the extras are wasted, although the ability to crop in and retain quality for large prints is nice.

IIRC, the D90 has an in body AF motor, allowing access to some cheaper options than AF-S/HSM etc needed by newer models. This alone would steer me strongly towards the D90 (I have a few screw driven lenses) although any of the models listed should be plenty good enough to learn with.

I should add, is she 100% determined it has to be a Nikon? Other brands are available and I don't think any of the available options is a lemon!

I would go with a d90 from the bunch. No need to buy 2nd hand there are still new out there with a 2yr warranty.

Thanks for the replys so far guys.
Seems the D90 comes well recommended. Could you give any reasons (other then the af motor being in body) ?
Discounting the D3200 at this point, I cant see any vast differences in the abilities of the D90 vs D3100 (from looking at specs on the internet)
I just dont want to recommend a body that might be getting on a bit, when for less money she can get a more modern camera.

From a Canon point of view I can explain differences in sensors, abilities etc, but I know nothing about the Nikons.
Shes not dead set on a Nikon, but I can give her my opinions on the Canon kit.

Thanks again.

The D90 has more external controls which means if your friend plans on getting into photography this has to be the way to go.

If they want a camera that they'll leave on Auto then the D3100 is probably the way to go as it is smaller, lighter and has a newer sensor.

D90 all the way. I've used one (my brothers) and they are good. Better controls and more upmarket camera (not an entry model) and it shows.

I've also used a friends D3200 and didn't like it at all, was so hard to change settings in manual mode and very underwhelmed with the performance with my 50mm 1.8 prime. However the D90 produced great photos with the prime, better in my opinion. D3200 also had no motor to drive the focus mechanism in the prime so had to manual focus, I think this is the problem with entry level bodies. Limits lens options a bit

Last edited:
the D90 is great. my Mrs gets some great shots with hers & she says its just the right size/weight for her. she has tried my larger/heavier cameras but didn't like them. she started out with an entry level camera & quickly got frustrated with the menu based adjustments. the D90 isn't a massively steep learning curve plus it has the important controls where you need them and more importantly its a camera that can grow with you ie the user will discover more of its features & will begin to utilise them as they learn more about photography ;)
its a good little tool (y)

d3100/d3200 is entry model. no motor (so older af lenses might not work) and you'd need af-s lenses to get af working (they are slightly more expensive).

There should be more focus points on the d90 and there are the other settings on dials.

You could consider a used d300 too - heavier, but has everything you'd need plus is weather sealed.

If she isn't sure, then I'd say get to either a camera store or a used camera store and handle as many brands and cameras as possible.

Whichever feels right in the hand, check the menus and lens available.
Post back here with your reduced list :)

Pretty much all the brands have decent cameras, so its more of a personal feel with them... good luck!

Thanks again for all the responses folks.

I have copied all across to her, along with my Canon view of things, and recommended she get to a shop to feel what they feel like in the hand.

Much appreciated.

Back