Aftermarket grips for 40d

Name
Kieran
Edit My Images
Yes
While I am patiently waiting on my 40d to arrive I was looking at grips. For 2 reasons really:
1. The obvious - prolonged battery life;
2. Handling of the 40d.

The canon ones (I assume the BG-E2/ BG-E2N) are pretty expensive, but I am concerned about the viability of the aftermarket replicas (mainly from the bay).

Could anyone either confirm my concerns or recommend a decent 3rd party grip for a 40d?

Thanks.

Since selling the 300D and battery grip to get a 40D, I have missed the grip, not for the ergonomics or battery life but for the ability to use vertically with the shutter button on top. Canons BG-E2N is priced at about £125 -£150, a bit pricey just for the ability to shoot vertically.
Ebay seller etefore sells a compatible 3rd party grip, Phottix BP-40D, for £39 inc postage from Hong Kong. I ordered the grip on 06/08/08 and it arrived 12/08/08, so very quick delivery. I unpacked and inspected the item expecting it to be a little lightweight, I was suprised at the build quality, which was very good, and the unit felt solid and robust. I fitted it to the 40D and checked all the buttons and switches were working, and they were. The only fault I could pick with it was that the thumbscrew that attaches the grip to the camera did not seem as strong as the Canon one, however it does not seem to be a problem at the moment, and as I tend to leave the grip on at all times it should be o/k.
There is also a battery caddy for 6AA batteries for use when the main batteries are drained, but since I can get about 1400 shots with the main batteries this should not pose a problem.
If you are looking for a grip and don't want to pay top prices you could do worse than try one of these.

Since selling the 300D and battery grip to get a 40D, I have missed the grip, not for the ergonomics or battery life but for the ability to use vertically with the shutter button on top. Canons BG-E2N is priced at about £125 -£150, a bit pricey just for the ability to shoot vertically.
Ebay seller etefore sells a compatible 3rd party grip, Phottix BP-40D, for £39 inc postage from Hong Kong. I ordered the grip on 06/08/08 and it arrived 12/08/08, so very quick delivery. I unpacked and inspected the item expecting it to be a little lightweight, I was suprised at the build quality, which was very good, and the unit felt solid and robust. I fitted it to the 40D and checked all the buttons and switches were working, and they were. The only fault I could pick with it was that the thumbscrew that attaches the grip to the camera did not seem as strong as the Canon one, however it does not seem to be a problem at the moment, and as I tend to leave the grip on at all times it should be o/k.
There is also a battery caddy for 6AA batteries for use when the main batteries are drained, but since I can get about 1400 shots with the main batteries this should not pose a problem.
If you are looking for a grip and don't want to pay top prices you could do worse than try one of these.

Don't mean to thread hijack but nice signature... I decoded it then thought to myself.... why 10 people?? then got it... p.s. you missed the D of World though :)

I've had the Phottix one shared between my 30D & 50D for a couple of years now. It felt nicer than the Canon one on my 300D :)

Got a Phottix on my 50d from E-bay.
Its great had a canon grip on my 400d
I'd say the phottix grip is just as good.

I have a Canon grip for one of my 20D's, and a 3rd party for the other- I can't really tell the difference apart from the on/off switch is a bit stiffer on the 3rd party one.

Thanks for the replies - looks like I'll go for the 3rd party one. I often use 3rd party batteries, but never tried the grip.

Ebay seller etefore sells a compatible 3rd party grip, Phottix BP-40D, for £39 inc postage from Hong Kong. ....

Thanks for this. I had a quick look but can't seem to find a link to that...unless it is now HK Supplies at £50. Would you have a link?

Hong Kong supplies are the same seller I think.

Thanks for this. I had a quick look but can't seem to find a link to that...unless it is now HK Supplies at £50. Would you have a link?

Thats who I had mine off,had mine within a few days of ordering(y)

I got mine about a year ago, without any batteries some come with 2 phottix batteries and cost a little more.

Just ordered one :)

Back