Ageing Photos - NEW IMAGE Added

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I was having a play with scanning negatives and inverting them and this appeared (after a meddle with levels etc.) and I thought it had the look of a really, really old photo. Does it work on that level or is it a waste a bandwidth. :LOL:

OK heres another attempt. Any thoughts on this one?

4611878855_17b78fb47c_o.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Yes I see what you mean. I've no idea how you go about doing it as I know nothing about digital images, but it does look like a picture from a bygone era - a sort of lost photograph found in the attic, so to speak.

Very interesting Andy. I think your on the right track.

Alistair

Yep! Keep at it mate, they look really cool!!!!

Thanks guys. I think with the right subject this could work ok.

Andy

The lines on the first look too structured, but like the second.

The second one is better and much scarier! Looks like something from The Woman in Black.

Alistair

I agree with the others, the first one looks like it's been processed but the 2nd one is spot on.

Thanks folks, I thought myself that the second one was better.

Andy

Interesting effect - whilst I prefer to try and take them like that in the first place I do like seeing this side of processing...

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. I will at some stage begin to experiment with producing this kind of thing in camera but at the mo I need to learn how to take normal images before I get into that.

Andy

Don't get me wrong, I like the processing. I spent quite some time looking for a camera/lens/process that would let me take that sort of image straight out of the tank ... but that does not make your method any less valid, only different. I think you may be going a bit too far but from my experience that often happens when one looks at the same image for ages!

Thanks Arthur. I will at some stage begin to experiment with producing this kind of thing in camera but at the mo I need to learn how to take normal images before I get into that.

Andy

Struck a chord with me that mate :LOL:

Don't get me wrong, I like the processing. I spent quite some time looking for a camera/lens/process that would let me take that sort of image straight out of the tank ... but that does not make your method any less valid, only different. I think you may be going a bit too far but from my experience that often happens when one looks at the same image for ages!

In actual fact there isn't a lot of pp in these images. Because I have only got a normal scanner the negs are very dark and then when inverted they become very light so I only adjust the black/white/midtones till it looks about right then add a little sepia. The marks and scratches are already on the negative and this is what makes them look really old.
You're right about going too far though. I do have a tendency to push the envelope a bit to begin with but generally I rein it back in after a while. (y)

Cheers

Andy

Back