Agfa APX

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Since returning to film last year I've been trying lots of different film types, both colour and b&w. I've settled on Acros as my main b&w film and been developing it myself. I've found plenty of helpful info about it by searching the internet.

Now I've spotted Agfa APX which is even cheaper than Acros. I fancy giving it a try but there doesn't seem to be anything like as much useful info about it on the web. If anyone has any experiences, good or bad, of APX 100 please share them. I'm looking for anything at all including the best way to expose it, develop it and print it. A fairly wide brief, I know!

Thanks in advance.

If it's like the old Agfa 100 (which I think it is) then run a mile....although it has the nicest boxes :)

I bought two rolls, haven't shot them yet. They are the old Agfa APX, cut from the frozen rolls and packaged. Rollei Retro 100 was the same thing. Very popular dev'd in Rodinal, the results and high level of actuance from the photos are gorgeous! Have an almost legendary following on places like flickr.

There are words of a new APX 100 production, but these are still old stock.

Actually I heard that all the old APX stock had been sold as Rollei Retro (I think it was that one!) and that actually listed as APX is new production. Its now available on AG Photographic and AGFA - Geveant's website lists it as a production product.

Still I can't wait for the 'upgraded' versions, Adox Pan 400 and 100 to come out, especially as at some point in the future there will be 110 versions. I know that it might be quite a while before its actually released though as Adox admit that it not top prioriy and is being funded by Photoimpex so if profits at Photoimpex go down, the project has to be put on hold like it was about half of this year.

Actually I heard that all the old APX stock had been sold as Rollei Retro (I think it was that one!) and that actually listed as APX is new production. Its now available on AG Photographic and AGFA - Geveant's website lists it as a production product.

Yes, I thought it might the new APX100 might really be new (and Silverprint's website says it's a new emulsion), but when I went to buy it in person I asked and the guy selling it to me was pretty sure it was still the frozen old stock. ISO100 film isn't going to suffer from too much radiation fog even for years, and if it's been frozen since 2005 it'll probably be fine. The expiry dates on mine I think were 2013.

Thanks for the info. I'm still getting to grips with home processing so a nice cheap film like this sounds good to practice on. Think I'll give a 10 roll pack a try.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info. I'm still getting to grips with home processing so a nice cheap film like this sounds good to practice on. Think I'll give a 10 roll pack a try.

Cheers.

I was about to link to the APUG thread when I realised that you were the OP on that one as well :bonk:

Seems it's a mix of 'not really sure, just shooting it and seeing' and some people who seem to think it might be a different emulsion? It's difficult to say. Unfortunately I never shot 'old' APX (so to speak), so I can't do any comparisons.

Let us know how you get on, even if it doesn't fully replicate the 'old' APX 100 I'm sure you'll still be able to get some very respectable negatives regardless - almost all black & white negative film is good in one way or another.

Back