Agggh.... Canon auto focus dead!

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Agggh, my fave bit of glass, my canon 50 mm 1.4, the autofocus has died, no reaction. Other less popular lenses are working ok but the 50 mm seems to be kapput! Any suggestions out there appreciated in terms of what I can do. Ps yes the switch is on af not mf!!!!

Davie

Hi Dave

Can you try it on another body ?

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens with a pencil rubber ? a dirty contact ?

Is the camera seeing the lens - can you manual focus and shoot ?

Clean the contacts maybe? Beyond that then it might need a trip to Elstree.

Hi guys, i'll give the contacts a quick clean, the lens is working with camera in other ways, ie i can take pics and the mf is ok. Any idea what the damage might be pocket wise if it needs to see someone to be brought back to life?

I have seen other posts with the same issue on this lens. I think and maybe wrong if the front of the lens gets knocked or pressed the af stops working. I think there is a weak point in the design have a search, I dont think its a cheap fix.

Has it been knocked at all?
Take a look at it fully retracted and extended is it slightly out if so try just pressing it as it may have popped the runners.

Had this happen to my 24-70 recently. Tried cleaning contacts, and looked on forums, to no avail. Sent it to Fixation, cost nr £200 to fix, but feels great now. I don't think you have much option but to send it in.

ignore

I have seen other posts with the same issue on this lens. I think and maybe wrong if the front of the lens gets knocked or pressed the af stops working. I think there is a weak point in the design have a search, I dont think its a cheap fix.

Yes, it has a rep for being a bit fragile. And if everything else obvious has been tried, could be that.

Back