AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :)

Name
Louise
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone :wave:
I have just brought home my brand new Canon 7D and I absolutely LOVE it so had to shout about it!!! AHHHHHHHHH :D
The battery has died and waiting for it to charge now (SO impatient) Anyone got any tips on good glass to go with it, I have got the 18-135 kit lens so looking to add to the family :D

Congratulations! You'll love it. A nice fast prime will bring the best out if it :)

what would be your busget for the lens?

17-55 f/2.8

End of thread :D

Now you've got a superb camera don't insult it. Go for lenses with a (red) L

Paul

the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is fully worthy of the L, it's just not because it's EF-s.

Unless you plan to go to full frame, get the 17-55

the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is fully worthy of the L, it's just not because it's EF-s.

Unless you plan to go to full frame, get the 17-55

If you are likely to go full frame in the future, look at the 50mm F1.4 prime. It's awesome in poor light.

I don't think the 50mm f/1.4 is very well regarded generally as it's fairly soft wide open. I certainly don't think it's worth the premium over the basic f/1.8 version myself.

for portraits on a crop, i'd certainly consider:

17-55 f2.8 (it's basically the crop version of the 24-70)
85 f1.8 (never used this lens personally, but seen some lovely results with it)
135 f2 (a bit long for a crop, but i used it with my 500d and it's a very lovely lens for outside portraits)

i can't bring myself to recommend the 50mm 1.4. i did a lot of research on 50mm primes and whilst the sigma 50mm 1.4 is optically superior, i didn't have much luck with it. the canon 50mm f1.4 is pretty soft wide open and probably not worth the premium over the nifty fifty. if you're hell bent on a 50mm prime, i'd probably save a few bucks and just get the 50mm f1.8

all said and done, and if money allows, the 17-55 and the kit lens will actually cover you for most everyday things.

if you then decide to go for ultra shallow dof portraits then you can perhaps think about a fast prime then.

Last edited:
Wow thank you for all the advise guys that fab!! :D definetly something to think about, I think im swaying towards the 17-55mm so will go and have a play in a shop! :D pchidell your going to love it! I was bouncing off of the walls when I got mine :D Cant wait to get out and take more pics :D

Back