Air Show Techniques

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Everyone :)

Going to Duxford Air Show at the weekend to see if I can get any good shots - never tried it before - any ideas on metering against sky, shutter speed aperture etc. I have my kit as listed below and I guess I'll be using my 80- 200 most of the time - do you think using the 2x converter will be difficult.

I would very much welcome any adviced from you experts!

Thanks a lot

the 2x converter will give you f/5.6. I'm not sure about Nikon, but I'd assume you'll still have autofocus at that aperture. Unless its really dark, then f/5.6 should be fine. Put the ISO at 400 or 800 (Nikon noise can be quite bad - do what you think's best :D) and then go into Tv mode. Vary the shutter speed depending on the aircraft. Prop aircraft should be between 1/100 and 1/250th (ish) and jets should be faster (if you can get to 1/1000 without running out of light, do it :D)

Leo

I've been to Duxford twice. Once when the whole show was cancelled due to low cloud and then to the next show with a discounted ticket by way of compensation.

I used the 100-400 and was at the 400 end most of the time so the convertor would be a good idea for the air shots. I'd agree the shutter speed of 100th up for props on the ground but at 400mm it will be a problem without IS. For shots in the air I used aperture priority at f8 to f11 which was giving me shutters around the 1/500th mark at 100 ISO. As to if that is the best approach I don't know but it worked for me :)

There is a long barrier where everyone gathers to watch the show. The dedicated types (not me) get there a good couple of hours before the start and tie or padlock a fold up chair to the barrier to claim their spot. I guess they then go and wander the museum.... a bit annoying to me but it obviously works for them. Even if you are 2nd row a fold up chair is a good idea as there is a lot of waiting and you can get yourself more organised and eat your picnic in comfort ;)

Oh and don't let all those big white canon lenses intimidate you :D

Thanks Leo for the reply - noise factor worries me a bit and take on board what you say about different types of aircraft, and yes I will have autofocus with converter, sorry but what's Tv mode? :amstupid:

Geoff

whoops...I didn't realise that Nikon call it a different thing

Sorry :(

Anyway, yeah, Av is aperture priority and Tv is shutter priority :D

Thats my lack of Nikon knowledge showing :D

Leo

Thanks lads for all the tips (y) - great pics RobertP hope I can do as well

Geoff

Back