Air show upgrade?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

I've spent a long time reading the forums but this is my first post so here goes

One of my main interests in photography is aviation mainly airshows currently I use a nikon d90 paired with the 70 300 vr it's been a good combo so far

For next years season I would like some advise on an upgrade to my kit I have been looking at the d7000/d7100 and wondered what I would really gain?

Or would I be better with a new lens ?

So over to you :) hope I've posted in the right place

Examples in my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewjmann/

I guess the question is, what is it you think you are missing in your ability to take the shots you want.

I guess the question is, what is it you think you are missing in your ability to take the shots you want.

Indeed, I think a lot of people neglect to consider why they're actually upgrading their equipment. You should only really upgrade if you have requirements or know how you will benefit from your new camera/ lens.

Indeed, I think a lot of people neglect to consider why they're actually upgrading their equipment. You should only really upgrade if you have requirements or know how you will benefit from your new camera/ lens.

This is your thread so as stated before what are you looking for in a new camera and what things do you think you would benefit most from? (y)

Thanks for the replies and I guess your both right , must be a male thing wanting new shiny kit lol , and I do enjoy using the d90 I just wondered if having more megapixels would result in better images during cropping

Well looking at your airshow images they are shot around 70mm but are really noisy. I'm assuming they have been cropped quite a bit? If you have the 300mm not sure why they need a big crop? But give us some more info and some example shots here in the thread and why you don't like them or what you want out of them ect. That allows people (most more skilled than me) to suggest what kit you need! Perhaps my last post didn't make sense..lol

Last edited:
Most of the time I have the lens at 250-300mm I think I get a bit crop happy and over edit in light room , I know I certainly did in the beginning

here's one from Bournemouth last last week

Red Arrows Enid by andrewjmann100, on Flickr

any advise appreciated

Back