Aircraft Sharpness

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I know sharpness in aircraft is hard for alot of people to achieve. I'm very hit and miss really even in great conditions. Is there nack to it? I do try to keep my shutter speed as low as possible and have a reasonably steady hand.

Cheers

Lewis

What sort of aircraft? ie props or jets?

Why do you try to keep your shutter speed down? Depending on what it is I'll shoot up to 1/1000 and faster (fast, military jets through the loop!) faster shutter speeds will help freeze the action, and depending on your panning skills will help get a sharp image.

Neil

What Neil says. If it's jets.
Prop planes are a bit of a gamble, high shutter speeds will freeze the prop and look unnatural, "assuming the prop is visible" Also most small prop planes do vibrate, degrading the picture. A bit of a gamble but not impossible there are some cracking photos of all types of plane.

It depends on a few factors, not just shutter speed.
What lens are you using? Many zoom lenses get distinctly soft at the far end, especially at full open aperture, which is a down side of using Shutter priority, and why I don't!
Is your camera 'locking' on target'? Even the best autofocus doesn't get it right all the time, although gets it better than I can manually most of the time!
Its only when you know the answers to those bits that you can say that shutter speed being too low is the problem.

Back