Aircraft

Name
Steve.
Edit My Images
No
Thanks for the feedback on nikon v canon , having just been blown away by the aircraft pictures in the transport section could you recommend lenses to attempt to emulate these images - i appreciate that the 1100/3100 body is more basic than most use & i am very much an amateur but i would like to try - we all have to start somewhere !!!:)

Focalsteve said:
Thanks for the feedback on nikon v canon , having just been blown away by the aircraft pictures in the transport section could you recommend lenses to attempt to emulate these images - i appreciate that the 1100/3100 body is more basic than most use & i am very much an amateur but i would like to try - we all have to start somewhere !!!:)

You'd generally need 300mm minimum length.

Then it's down to how deep is your pocket.

I use a 300mm prime and also a 1.4 TC on occasions. Before people can get specific about lenses, you need to be deciding on which make your going with.

The Canon 300F4, 400F5.6 or 100-400 lenses are some that are popular, along with the various Sigma lenses that are available. Then there are the Nikon equivalents.

If you look through the aircraft shots, you'll generally see what equipment was used - don't forget, if not, ask on the thread what lens was used.

Last edited:
It depends what your budget is. As mentioned 300mm is the minimum focal length but in most cases 400 - 500mm is more the norm especially today with health and safety. The display line being moved away from the crowd line. Most start with the sigma's like 120-400 or 50/150 - 500mm lenses but you are not talking less than £600

Oh and there are some that are now using the new Canon 70-300L lens and reporting great results with it.

So my best option would not be to buy a twin lens package - just the basic pack & save for a good lens?

So my best option would not be to buy a twin lens package - just the basic pack & save for a good lens?

The camera kits are a way to get started but the quality of the lenses are very average to poor. It depends what budget you have, but if funds are sufficient personally I would recommend buying a camera body and lenses separate

Focalsteve said:

Have a look at what the twin lens kit actually consists of, but generally yes as Pete says, it's better to buy the specific lenses you're after seperately.

Last edited:
I generally shoot with the Sigma 150-500 OS on my 5D3 and I use the wifes Sigma 120-400 OS on my 7D when I'm at airshows. Both lenses were bought from Panamoz and I think they're still about the cheapest around. I may try my Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII and 2x MkIII converter before the airshow season this year as it means I can then let the wife keep her lens with her.

i really appreciate all your input - lots to think about - several trips to shops to compare things is the way forwards

I use the Canon 100-400L on my 7D. Find that it gives you all the options that you require, as it depends on where you go as to how close you can get to the aircraft. Then there is the huge variation in aircraft size, from a light aircraft to a large commercial jet.
Also just bought the 70-200L f2.8 II IS but not had a chance to try it out yet.

Sigma 120-400 for me,great image quality,not too big and a nice focal range :)

Back