Airport carry on luggage

Compare its size with a Lowepro Computrekker AW Plus. That's what I have and it will just squeeze in to the standard baggage measuring cage of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm provided the front pocket is empty and nothing inside stands taller than the dividers/sidewall. It also carries a 17in laptop.

Depends on the airline, e.g., Ryanair maximum size is 55 x 40 x 20cm and getting a bag which will hold a reasonable amount of gear but that is only 20cm deep does not appear to be easy. Having said that I'm flying with Ryanair in June and I've just bought a Flipside 300, which is apparently 18cm deep, so here's hoping my gear will fit in it.

When the liquid bomb scare and all the other security crap kicked off, Heathrow started measuring bags in the cages. My aforementioned Computrekker wouldn't go in. Prepared for this I was wearing one of those photographers jackets, so emptied the bag until it did fit. That's how I know things cannot stand higher than the dividers/sidewall. After I was through I put everything back in the bag. No further problems, and I haven't had anybody check it since. You can bet Ryanair would though.

You must fly on really picky airlines. On my flights, "One small item of hand luggage" is usually interpreted as two huge suitcases and a guitar :shrug:

Depends on the airline, e.g., Ryanair maximum size is 55 x 40 x 20cm and getting a bag which will hold a reasonable amount of gear but that is only 20cm deep does not appear to be easy. Having said that I'm flying with Ryanair in June and I've just bought a Flipside 300, which is apparently 18cm deep, so here's hoping my gear will fit in it.
A bit off the original question but I have decided to ditch my dedicated camera bag when using Ryanair because it's too deep. Instead I got myself a very nice rucksack from Decathlon that it a walking one but holds way more dear than a normal camera bag and is much more comfortable to carry. The best bit though is that it's flexible so it can be easily squashed into the right size for carry-on baggage. Camera bags are just not designed to be squashed.

Oh yeah and it only cost me £29. (y)

Has anyone succesfully managed to get the Lowepro lens trekker 600aw II through as carry on luggage for an international flight?

It doesn't really matter if other people have or not. Airport security staff are possibly the most inconsistent bunch of authority people in the world. One person will quite happily let an item through then forbid the exact same item next time around. So the question is: Can you get a 600AW as carry-on.

Personally, I'd probably not try as it's height makes it look very large. I use a Think Tank Airport Antidote for carrying stuff on the plane and a Think Tank Glass Taxi in my hold bag to carry the big lens around at my destination.

RyanAir and EasyJet would do anything to make you pay extra.

It doesn't really matter if other people have or not. Airport security staff are possibly the most inconsistent bunch of authority people in the world. One person will quite happily let an item through then forbid the exact same item next time around.
Exactly. The problem with that is if they let you take it on the outbound flight but the one on the way back doesn't. What do you do then?

Back