Beginner Airshow

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I am off to my first airshow with a camera next week, Old Sarum near Salisbury.

Can any of you guys that post your wonderful airshow pictures give me any pointers please ??

I generally try to shoot motorcycle racing. Is it a similar method (but looking up before any sarcy comments !!).

Intending to use 7Dmk2 with a 100-400mk2.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Exposure... either manual or use exposure compensation to make sure your aircraft is properly exposed. Nothing really new there apart from the fact you are pointing at the sky which has a habit of being bright and therefore fooling the camera meter. Best thing you can do is practice on birds or something.

The main thing about photographing airshows come down to matching the shutter speed to the flying thing.
Roughly...

Jets - Fast as you can without raising the ISO too far. But aim for minimum 1/1000th and more if you can get it.
Prop planes I normally go 1/160-1/320 to make sure that all important prop blur is present. Lower if you can keep the plane sharp while panning (or it's powering up for takeoff)
Choppers - slow as you can to get some rotor blur. For the chinook / apache / huey I think 1/160th was the fastest and if they were hovering I would try a drop to 1/60th-1/100th

Others may have different ideas/results.

Exposure... either manual or use exposure compensation to make sure your aircraft is properly exposed. Nothing really new there apart from the fact you are pointing at the sky which has a habit of being bright and therefore fooling the camera meter. Best thing you can do is practice on birds or something.

The main thing about photographing airshows come down to matching the shutter speed to the flying thing.
Roughly...

Jets - Fast as you can without raising the ISO too far. But aim for minimum 1/1000th and more if you can get it.
Prop planes I normally go 1/160-1/320 to make sure that all important prop blur is present. Lower if you can keep the plane sharp while panning (or it's powering up for takeoff)
Choppers - slow as you can to get some rotor blur. For the chinook / apache / huey I think 1/160th was the fastest and if they were hovering I would try a drop to 1/60th-1/100th

Others may have different ideas/results.

Cheers for this, shutter speed settings will give us a start point for various aircraft.
Im no expert but slow shutter for props and fast for jets. Never shot motor bikes before but imagine it's rather similar. Try
http://www.fast-air.co.uk/aviation-photography-settings/ for a better explanation etc

Thanks for the link, I'm sure it will help.

Back