AlanDorset 2024 Week16 Empty

Nice Munkeh :)

I take it you're in for 2024 then Alan (a you didn't post to the sign up thread). I've added you to the scrolls now.
Please don't forget to add the theme to you post in the main thread and link through to your personal thread :)

I take it you're in for 2024 then Alan (a you didn't post to the sign up thread). I've added you to the scrolls now.
Please don't forget to add the theme to you post in the main thread and link through to your personal thread :)
ooh yes, sorry, forgot all that in the excitement of creating a new 2024 thread, doh!

Very nice wildlife style capture Alan, liking this pic' very much.

I think it's very cool that people live near to these sorts of places. The genealogical link is a good one too. I like it :)

Good composition, using the pen as a leading line and putting the paper at an angle.
The colour looks accurate and the lighting is even.
I was wondering if a shallower DoF would have focused the eye more on the 'killer' puzzle, but then saw this was taken on an ipad, so you would not have had control of that.

Nice take on the theme Alan :)

I used to go into zoo's every time I got near one. Always always had a camera with me. But past 35 yrs been living here and closest zoo is over 120 miles away. Don't care for all the people but can pretty much ignore them in a zoo. Been in the Bronx Zoo in New York, Heidelberg Zoo and Frankfort zoo's in Germany. San Diego Zoo in California and the San Diego zoo Breeding farm in California. Been a bunch of smaller one's around the country I've been in also. Really miss going in them, might have to break down and buy the gas to go to Portland Zoo this year! That's the closest at 120+ miles. Best one I was ever i was the Heidelberg Zoo on Germany!

Last edited:
Great interpretation on the theme. Chuckled as soon as I saw it. As to feedback, being SOOC and taking on an iPad, I don't have any other then keep at it.

Alan - don't forget to change the title of this thread to reflect the week and theme.

Like the composition and idea, perhaps the pen could have been positioned more towards the quiz, like you wouldn't know where to start

Good composition, using the pen as a leading line and putting the paper at an angle.
The colour looks accurate and the lighting is even.
I was wondering if a shallower DoF would have focused the eye more on the 'killer' puzzle, but then saw this was taken on an ipad, so you would not have had control of that.
Like the composition and idea, perhaps the pen could have been positioned more towards the quiz, like you wouldn't know where to start
Great interpretation on the theme. Chuckled as soon as I saw it. As to feedback, being SOOC and taking on an iPad, I don't have any other then keep at it.
I was just sat at the kitchen table whiling away some time with a couple of the puzzles when the idea came to me so it is literally a “grab and go”, quite liberating sometimes. But plan to be back to DSLR next week. Or maybe not, who knows!

Ooohh, I do love a killer sudoku - its the main reason I used to subscribe to the times. Nicely composed shot.

I think the pen adds to this and implies you're "going" to tackle it at some point. Honest. A bit of humour in there works well.

Interesting take on it Alan. Not sure if I;d clone out those few bright bits.

Looks correctly lit, as @-Oy- mentioned, maybe those bright spots should go. Or not? Not really distracting. Anyways, good shot and an interesting take on the theme.

Interesting take on it Alan. Not sure if I;d clone out those few bright bits.
Looks correctly lit, as @-Oy- mentioned, maybe those bright spots should go. Or not? Not really distracting. Anyways, good shot and an interesting take on the theme.
Yes, moot point. I had different tries with differing amount of reflection, and decided that those two relatively subdued spots actually added to the context. That’s the joy of art, different opinions, different ideas, different outcomes !

Soft: a little ironic... never thought any golf ball was soft :)
Water: stunning abstract. Well captured.

Water, good idea. Abstract and a bit spooky, glad you explained what it was

Back