Alex & Tobias

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have, for some time, been trying to get a half decent picture of my son, Alex. It's not easy as he doesn't like having his picture taken, and as he's away at Uni, he's not around much anyway.

However, he had a mate stay over last night and I "bribed" him with 30 minutes in the garage/studio with my new lighting kit. His mate, Tobias is black, and I have been wanting to work with a black model for a while, as the darker skin throws up different technical issues, especially when working with a black background (and while wearing a white top!).

Alex 1
alex_1_web.jpg

Alex 2
alex_3_web.jpg

Tobias 1
Tobias_1_web.jpg

Tobias 2

Tobias_2_web.jpg

So, I'd like some C&C please, all taken on the 40D at 100 ISO with the 50mm f1.8. A single light, without an additional reflector. These were from just a short session.

Personally, I really like the 2nd one of my son, but I'd like to remove the shadow of his glasses over his left eye, however I was having problems manipulating it in PS, so any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

You should be pleased with the full set. Personally I would have liked some fill on the shadow side. Initially the images a great but after a few moments I find them unsatisfying because of the deep shadows. Maybe it is because there are four all in the same style.

i like the idea mate but a reflector or light or something would have made these so much better imo

its just that they are to dark in the shadows for my liking

well done though they are good but could be so much better

all imho

md(y)

On a personal level, I really like the deep shadows, though I can see why a refelctor to provide some detail might be more favourable to most people, but from me, big thumbs up (y)

As for getting rid of the specs shadow, probably can be done, but might have been better to try and avoid/reduce in the first place, though someone with more experience with lighting than I would have to advise on exactly how :thinking:

I actually really like number 4 despite the shadows. Can't explain why, sorry.

As i scrolled down on the first one i thought "ohh i like this" ...but then his mouth was missing? Obviously intentional but this it would have been gorgeous with the full face..;)

Thanks for the comments, it was intentional to not use the reflector on the "dark side", mainly because I wanted to see the real effect. I appreciate that this may have led to them looking very dark in the shadows, not everybodies cup of tea but I got what I was aiming for.

Steve

if you can get your hands on the strobist dvd's i think its explained in there how to take photos of people with glasses on. mind you been a while since i had the chance to watch them.

and i realy like the set im a big lover of the deep shaddows.

Back