Bargain All Nik products free!

I don't think anyone's even mentioned Viveza yet... for me the most useful (and irreplaceable) module in the set. The control point technology makes it quite unique and I for one would be lost if support were ever discontinued.

I don't think anyone's even mentioned Viveza yet... for me the most useful (and irreplaceable) module in the set. The control point technology makes it quite unique and I for one would be lost if support were ever discontinued.
I had a quick look at that and couldn't work out what it was for :/

I had a quick look at that and couldn't work out what it was for :/

A quick and simple example:

BEFORE VIVEZA:
beforeviveza.jpg

AFTER VIVEZA - with just a handful of clicks in literally a few seconds:
afterviveza.jpg

Try doing that without Viveza in under a minute! :)

A quick and simple example:

BEFORE VIVEZA:
beforeviveza.jpg

AFTER VIVEZA - with just a handful of clicks in literally a few seconds:
afterviveza.jpg

Try doing that without Viveza in under a minute! :)
Now that's pretty handy! Will have to have a good play with that :)

Hi guys, I saw quite a lot of comments about this and also some pretty good pictures on Facebook etc over the last few days so thought it must be worthwhile downloading. It's downloading as I type.

I'm pretty new to digital photography and finding my feet round Lightroom cc and to a lesser extent Photoshop cc

Are these bolt ons to LR and PS that could enhance what I am already doing or would they actually be not much better than what I already have with LR and PS ??

If better then in what way ??

Many thanks.

That's impressive. Care to give us a tutorial?

It'll have to be very brief.... I'm not great at tutorials! :)

Open the image in Viveza.
Place a control point in the middle of one of the darker grey areas.
Adjust the size of the control point (using the top slider on the control point itself) so it roughly fits the grey area.
Whack the brightness of the control point up to max 100%.
Copy the control point by holding ALT then hold left click and drag the mouse, this gives a duplicate of the control point you've just made. Drag the copied point to another grey area... accuracy isn't that important.
Repeat the above until you have covered all of the grey bits with max brightness control points.
Now add a NEW control point to one of the green objects and resize to cover most of the green bits of that area (this will be a NEGATIVE control point to counteract any of the brightness increases from the other ones).
Copy the negative control point as necessary to cover all of the green objects.
Click 'OK' to save and take you back to your host app (e.g.. Photoshop)
That should pretty much do it, the 100% brightness increase should only affect the grey areas thus doing away with any time consuming (and less accurate) masking. Whole process can be repeated if necessary to get the background completely white.

It probably sounds more complicated than it is, it really does take just a few seconds once you're used to it.

This is, of course, a very simple application of Viveza, try it on a more complex image like a landscape or something and see how a control point on something like an area of sky for example can affect local areas of the image dramatically and easily... I really hope it's not discontinued any time soon.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I have tried Viveza but struggle to work out what it was for. The use you made of it and your tutorial seem to be very useful indeed.

Last edited:
So is Viveza the only one that works that way or could that have been done with the Efex versions?

So is Viveza the only one that works that way or could that have been done with the Efex versions?
All Nik modules have the control points. There's no other masking software like it... That's what makes them so unique and useful.

How about if you used Google Chrome browser to upload to Flickr?
That would be a death sentence on a browser. No one would use it.

And legally they wouldn't be able to enforce terms in a browser (whereas a service would be easy, as you need to sign up to their terms). Also a browser would have to store everything that went through it, which would be impossible, unethical and possibly unlawful.

Last edited:
You put a post up & come back a few days later to find 14 pages of comments! Pleased it's of use to people, I installed it (using 150mb broadband as we're all mentioning the speed at which it downloads :) ) and I'm using the plug ins through Lightroom. Very impressed so far. Intrigued where Google are going with it, I'm sure they have a plan!

I have had a fabulous play about with the HDR package tonight.

Very impressed so far and works seamlessly with Lightroom.

Already own the software from when NIK where in charge.
Cannot understand some of the comments like "It must be finishing" It's Rubbish" etc etc.
It's FREE!! what else do people want?

Russ

I'd like them to continue innovating - developing new algorithms and filters. Their deblurring, noise removal and detail extraction methodologies are getting left behind.
I want it to continue working when Windows and Photoshop move on.
I want someone to capitalise and expand on the UPoint technology. It's a great idea and very effective but I'm sure they could have found a way to use it for creating masks in Photoshop - as well as other things I haven't thought of.

Back