All Out

Edit My Images
Yes
This is an image i have been playing with, this it may need some more tweeking, but not sure, so i would appreciate some words.
It is a local cricket ground that is currently not being used.
oxton.jpg

thank you

What were you trying to achieve Stev, and what sort of playing have you been doing ?

Immediate thoughts are there is maybe a little too much going on and nothing too draw, or hold interest. A little too much foreground, the shed is distracting and the trees beyond ... should they have been in or out of focus ?

The changing room/tea room itself has a good tonal range so perhaps zeroing in on a section/sections might be what oyu are looking for ?

Only my own initial thoughts Stev.

I can live with the trees but IMO the shed shouldn't be there. As Venomator said, the pavillion has a good tonal range but I think I would be looking for more contrast.....it all looks a bit bland. Can you move the shed and retake it :D .

regards

I agree with the majority of the comments so far. It's quite bland at the moment and the crop isn't interesting enough. I've had a mess around (with help from jimandasideoffries) and we've come up with the following. Ironically, it focuses on the shed, lol:

stevcrop.jpg

We did an auto-levels, pushed up the contrast, cropped, then framed. What do you think?

Tweaks if you want to keep the original composition are levels for one.....in B&W you can be more agressive pulling the sliders in from each end, than with colour. Have a go.

If we are talking tweaks to composition also, then Ribby's crop provide more interest, with 2 different subjects & roof from pavillion leading eye to shed.

Have you thought of shooting the pavillion again, but from one end, forcing a perspective view down the front, which also leads eye nicely into shot ?

The pavillion is the key, I think I'd either crop tighter into a portion of it that has interest or go back and reshoot concentrating on the texture of the wood or different bits of the pavillion.

i must confess, the pavillion was the main aim, trying to show the delapidation of the building now its no longer used, hence ALL OUT. I am not very good with photoshop (or photography) it appears, and i kind of lost my way with it, i hoped DJW or Bachs would jump in with some good advice, as their B/W stuff is excellent.
I do however really like the crop by Ribble & fries, and the darker tones make it look good, but it takes away from the pavillion.
Oh well, back to the drawing board, thanks guys..

EDIT:
i have changed the picture altogether now,still not sure though.

Show us! :)

Steve, I would be inclined to recompose and shoot from lower down and nearer with a wider angle lens - make it obvious that it's a cricket pavilion by including the sign above the door, but in the foreground, maybe focus in on some of the broken picket fence or some other bit of decay... Just my 2p worth...

I'm sure there's a great shot to be had there...

I think you should have left the original or all subsequent posts don't make sense to a new reader. However, having said that the latest version is better. Took the liberty of having a play.

oxton-1.jpg

regards

I think the route that Stepheno has taken is an interesting one, I assume he was trying to make it look older and more burnt. Probably gone too far for me as its started looking a bit abstract.

Photo could do with a sharpen though Boon.

Yeah...you're right Sammy, gone too far. I was just trying to give the shot a bit of oomph by moving the curves. Even on Boon's second image I feel that it's still too bland.

regards

Back